cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line stat.

rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Line stat.

Just got connected today but I was wondering, is there anyway to check out my line stats from the modem?
Speeds are pretty good but not quite the 80+/- estimated.
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line stat.

Depends which modem you have as to how easy it is, but as both would involve hacking the modem in one way or another it's not something we can officially recommend I'm afraid.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Oh that sucks, didn't know it involved hacking  Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

In all honesty, that's a pretty great speed to have. Your speeds could be a little jumpy over the next few days though.
I would allow the line to settle and see how things go.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Thanks, I not complaining about the speed. Sure its a hell lot faster than ~8Mbit with my previous ISP!  Grin
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Haha, it's also much, much faster than mine! Tongue
Bright
Grafter

If you have the Huawei HG612 modem then it's possible to get stats, but probably best to buy an unlocked modem off eBay rather than hack the BTOR one, in case you have a line fault. If you have the ECI modem then there are no solutions currently.
Your line looks like it's running at pretty much maximum speed. Remember the 80Mbps figure is line sync rate. By the time you've added all the overheads for VDSL, TCP/IP, etc then you're down to a real user data throughput of around what you're getting. What's your BT IP profile currently? (from BTW speed tester, run 1st test, then hit Further Diagnostics). Your IP profile will be 0.9679 of your actual sync rate.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Thanks Bright, I'll have a read.
About the profile, theres a problem. I get "Test Error" when I click on diagnostics.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could you take a screenshot and attach it to this thread please?
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you very much. I'm collating as much information on the BT Speedtester not working correctly as possible.
Bright
Grafter

@evoGage
If you do decide to get an unlocked HG612, you'll probably want to read this too.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Quick update:
The diagnostic is working and here are the results.
Just wondering, how come I only getting around 73 max where the profile is around 77?
Bright
Grafter

Protocol overheads - around 5% for UDP and 6% for TCP with IPv4 and maximum packet size (1492 bytes on PPPoE). You're doing very well for that profile  Smiley
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Good to hear its ok. I'm thinking about getting a HG612 just so I can check out the stats. I do miss checking them from my DSL days  Grin