cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed unusually low

BassPunk

Line speed unusually low

For almost three and a half years my Plusnet ADSL speeds have been ~18Mb and only a few times has it been offline so Im a happy customer but I've noticed the past few days slow video streaming speeds compared to normal with speed test results of 7Mb as listed in the attached picture

Please could Plusnet Support take a look behind the scenes.

Thanks

On your site: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Current line speed:7.1 Mb

DSL connection information after I had rebooted the router says:

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:10:45
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.215 / 23.269
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 15,81 / 83,20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,1 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4,8 / 7,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,5 / 3,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Line speed unusually low

Errr.... NO!

The cause of the issue is identified above - there is no need to go digging in to the trouble shooter.  The PlusNet profile (which we are advised we need not worry about - hence no easy to find link) is wrong.  It is set at 7.1Mbps, which is not appropriate for the indicated synch speed.

There are a number of questions to be considered here...

• What made it so slow - an intermittent issue which cause the DLM to drastically drop the speed?
  • Why has it not updated in line with the new synch speed?

Keep a watch for the PN profile changing - it might change of its own accord - it might need a kick.  When it changes, there should be a drop of the PPP session.  Without that drop, the revised profile will not 'apply' to your service.

If you do not see a drop in PPP then you will need to do this manually using the router's GUI.  It is better to use the GUI to do this gracefully rather than bouncing the router.  That might lead to a different synch speed and a consequential need to update the profile......!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

townman wrote:

• Why has it not updated in line with the new synch speed?

BassPunk wrote

Uptime: 0 days, 1:10:45

Probably because the Uptime hasn't been sufficient for the new value to be promulgated? The important question is the other one that was asked.

Also, have you by any chance had any thunder and lighting storms when the speed dropped?

I'd also do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 to check you haven't developed some noise on the line.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Could be @Anotherone - I did consider that, but dismissed it as the OP stated that the service had been running at 7Mbps for the last few days.  I therefore implied a stuck / not updated profile... a problem we no longer need to worry about! Undecided Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

But BassPunk did say

DSL connection information after I had rebooted the router says:

which is why I thought it worth mentioning.

BassPunk

Thanks for the replys, line speed has returned to 20.5 Mb this afternoon Smiley

There was one rumble of thunder last week and I had been using the phone for several hour long calls which I hadn't done before so it could be either of those....

After I disconnected the connection in the router then reconnected the service is back to normal.

Anotherone
Champion

Hour long calls are highly unlikely to cause such problems. Line faults usually give rise to problems when a call is started/ended - ie. when the receiver is picked up and put down, or when the line is ringing.
Lightning is a much more likely cause of such an event where the line will drop due to the static interference and connect at a lower speed during the static.