cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed/ sync speed discrepancy

fifty1org

Line speed/ sync speed discrepancy

I recently switched from TalkTalk 8MB broadband to Plus.net up to 20MB. The estimated speed when signing up was 11MB. After a couple of weeks I'm getting speeds of around 7MB which is about the same as I got with TalkTalk (I'm 0.5 km from the exchange.) I was anticipating better connection speeds than this.
I've run various tests and gathered the following information:
My modem has been connected for 270 hours.
Estimated line speed: 6Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-06-09 18:02:14
Current line speed: 21 Mb
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 13.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 8Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 13.5Mbps.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6524 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

I'd like to understand why there is such a difference between line speed (sync speed) and estimated line speed/ actual line speed. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line speed/ sync speed discrepancy

You are not on ADSL2+ but need to be
Why current line speed is 21Mb I have no idea
Does this say that your exchange is 21CN enabled
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Er Jim! Roll_eyes
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 13.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 8Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 13.5Mbps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fifty1org

Quote from: Oldjim
You are not on ADSL2+ but need to be
Why current line speed is 21Mb I have no idea
Does this say that your exchange is 21CN enabled
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) is BT's next generation broadband product for ISPs. BT are currently upgrading each exchange to be able to offer WBC which will also bring ADSL2+ speeds of up to 24Mbps. We will post updates to the upgrade schedule as and when we receive them and also provide further details on WBC in the coming weeks.
WBC Rollout Status
BT have announced a ready for service date for this exchange. The estimated go live date is between 1st February 2011 and 28th February 2011.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: MisterW
Er Jim! Roll_eyes

Do you really believe that.
The chance of getting exactly 8128kbps on ADSL2+ is, in my opinion, a bit remote hence my suggestion.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry Jim, I was querying your 'Does this say that your exchange is 21CN enabled' , the speed checker obviously thinks it is since its giving an ADSL2+ speed quote. Both systems will work from the same BTdata.
I quite agree with you, he's still on ADSL1. If it was on TT 8mb before, that doesnt sound like LLU more like BTw. I guess the service has just been migrated like for like initially.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fifty1org

Quote from: MisterW
I quite agree with you, he's still on ADSL1. If it was on TT 8mb before, that doesnt sound like LLU more like BTw. I guess the service has just been migrated like for like initially.

So it would be reasonable for me to expect Plusnet to move my service to a 21CN service?
ADSL enabled: January 31, 2001
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) N/A
21CN WBC (Broadband) Enabled
Broadband Access† Market 3
However, I note the following line speed estimations:
Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
DSL Max:  6000 kbps (6 Mb)
21CN WBC : 8000 kbps (8 Mb)
BTW, distance from exchange is 1.5 not 0.5 km as stated above.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Maybe you could post your router stats, that should confirm one way or the other.
In the mean time I would suggest raising a ticket querying why your speed is still 8Mb.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looking at this now, I can assure you you are provided on the ADSL2+ service but it seems to be being throttled to ADSL1 speeds somewhere along the line. One test is reporting a consistency check fail across the MSAN and BRAS, and the other is saying that the BRAS and DSL speeds are consistent... so from that it looks like the BRAS profile may be throttling things incorrectly.
Currently waiting to chat to a representative so I can ask if it can be sorted, I'll report back as soon as I know more.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just finished the chat, the profile's been updated which should give things a kick. If there's no change (please keep an eye on the sync rate as it should change shortly) then we can try resetting the SNR and will take it further if that doesn't help.
fifty1org

Just returned from holiday and my broadband speed seems to have taken a turn for the worse. In fact I'd say that it worse than what I experienced with Talk Talk! Web browsing is sluggish and steaming very poor. When I run broadband speed tests I get anything from 3 - 7 MB. Can't recall how (or where) I got the sync speed from.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fifty1org,
I've just ran some checks on your line and I think we could do much much better. I could really do with chatting to you. When would be a good time?
Jojo Smiley
fifty1org

Best time probably between 12:00 and 14:00 weekdays on my mobile.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time. Post back here when you are in the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
fifty1org

Hello Jojo,
I have taken the face plate off the master socket and connected the microfilter with modem and telephone directly to the test socket. There are no extensions connected.
--
Martin