cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed slows down till router reboot.

stuartmc

Line speed slows down till router reboot.

I can achieve line speeds of 4M and this may stay for several weeks then the speed suddenly starts to slow down, sometimes as low as 1.5M. If I reboot the router the speed comes back up and again may run for a period of several days to several weeks at a speed above 4M then it starts to slow down again. Rebooting the router always brings the speed back up not always to 4 but above 3. Of course the profile then takes some time to come back up too. I have asked to be swtched to 21CN now our exchange has been upgraded and don't know if that will make any difference. I have a Netgear DGN2200, have tried another Netgear and the effect is the same.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line speed slows down till router reboot.

Would it be correct to assume that you leave the router on all the time and over a period it keeps resynching at a lower speed.
Presumably over night when the noise margins are lower
stuartmc

Yes the router is on all the time. It can run for as long as 3 weeks sometimes keeping a constant speed of say 4M then suddenly it starts to slow down and if I don't reboot the router it gets slower and slower. Rebooting the router brings the speed up and it can stay that way for perhaps another 3 weeks or maybe just 3 or 4 days. There seems to be no real pattern to it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The sync speed or a speed test result
stuartmc

Sync speed. Speed test varies too much to be very reliable
stuartmc

Should I raise this as a fault?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To be honest it sounds like a dodgy router - which one is it
stuartmc

Netgear DGN2200
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you checked the router log to find out when the resyncs occur and whether it is a resync or a reboot
stuartmc

Definitely a resync. It has done it again tonight suddenly dropped from 4M down to 2.3M. Restart the router and it jumps back up to 3.5. Of course the profile will have dropped and it'll be another few days before it rises again. I have the logs and will post in the morning.
Attached the Router Stats logs now. You'll see that the noise margin suddenly jumped and the speed reduced as a consequence. The two loss of signals at the end is when I restarted the router and instantly the speed rises but of course the profile has been lowered.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You've been connected for over 2 days now and the profile is back up to 3500, which looks fine - does everything seem alright from your side?
stuartmc

Seems fine for now but problem is it will no doubt drop off again in a few days and I'll have to restart the router to bring the speed back up again. I am due to move to 21CN on 17th Feb so maybe I should wait until that happens and see if that gives me a more stable service.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think holding off wouldn't be a bad idea at all, though would you be using the same router on the 21CN service once upgraded? By the sounds of it it might well be worth testing another if you have access to one.
stuartmc

Well as predited today it has dropped from 4160 to 3584. Roll on 21CN which will hopefully sort it. Rebooted and back up to 4064.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, sorry to hear it dropped... did you manage to try an alternative router at all? Just wondering if that'd make any difference.