cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed slower than estimate

nchapman89

Line speed slower than estimate

Took out Plusnet at our new home about 3 weeks ago, but we're getting a slower speed than estimated. We were originally estimated up to 11.5MB, yet we're getting around 9MB and we're less than 1 mile from the local exchange.
I was always under the impression that the IP profile on the line should only be just under the estimated speed so I am just checking to see if our connection is correct really.
Also seems the upstream speeds are capped, would be nice to get this uncapped.
Details from plusnet line speed:
Phone exchange:
    CHELMSFORD
Estimated line speed:
    11Mb (This may vary between 4.5Mb and 6.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-10-22 14:05:13
Current line speed:
    9.5 Mb

BT Speed Test results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.5 Mbps
Upload speedachieved during the test was - 0.31 Mbps
Upstream rate IP Profile for your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Details from router:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 10,771
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:  139.06 / 4.24
4 REPLIES 4
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Line speed slower than estimate

Can you post the full stats from the router ?
You may find that it it is in the training period, your speeds will improve over a few days. Have they got better or worse over the three weeks ?
One of the staff will need to uncap the upload speed but may not be around until monday to do this Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I can't see any obvious reasons for the speed being below the estimate. I would one one hand say that it is literally an estimate so won't be identical to the actual speeds achieved, on the other hand you might want to try letting us run some diagnostics from our side whilst connected to the test socket (if you have one) https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

After a line problem where ADSL was working ( not sure what speed)  was fixed, my speed was low ( 06/0.7)
And after leaving a message in the line fault topic on here it went back up again, however this morning im now getting this
Estimated line speed:
    13Mb (This may vary between 7.5Mb and 17Mb) - Checked on 2014-06-05 00:26:04
Current line speed:
    0.5 Mb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@nchapman89,
Welcome to the forums.
First if I may clarify the speed figures... The estimate (which as Adam states is exactly that) relates to the line's SYNCH speed.  Yours is 10.7Mbps which is less than 3% below the estimate.  The full router stats as requested might indicate why that is the case.
The DATA speed can never be more than 88.2% of the SYNCH speed.  The PN portal page reports your current DATA speed, which at 9.5Mbps is spot on correct.  Any difference between that figure and those reported by speed tests is down to the "current" conditions of the connection - noise on the line, exchange congestion, etc.  Your internal wiring can also impact speed performance.  Please take a look at the speed issues post at the top of this forum and post back here the results of the listed tests and data collection.
@pint,
Please follow the same instructions, but post on your own thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.