cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed slower than estimate

RChapman

Line speed slower than estimate

Moved home two weeks ago and we're getting and getting a slower speed than estimated. We were originally estimated up to 17MB, yet we're getting less than 7MB, and we're less than 0.5mile from exchange.
I realise 6.75MB isn't awful, but when we're so close to the exchange and have been estimated at 17MB we expected a little more.
Here's the details from plusnet line speed. Exchange and phone number are entirely wrong... we are a 01394 number, and on the Woodbridge (EAWDB) exchange.
Telephone number:
    01142******
Phone exchange:
    ABERGAVENNY
Estimated line speed:
    5Mb (This may vary between 4.5Mb and 6.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-10-22 14:05:13
Current line speed:
    7.15 Mb

BT Speed Test results...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.54 Mbps
11 REPLIES 11
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Line speed slower than estimate

Based on the BT speedtester result your sync speed is around 17614kbps which is probably about right (and consistent with your distance from the exchange).
This needs to be matched by the Plusnet Current line speed value in the Member Centre. If you give the CSC a ring they should be able to set that correctly for you. That should give you the expected download speed.
Having the wrong phone number in the Member Centre doesn't directly affect your service, however it needs to be corrected. The CSC should be able to do that, though they might refer this to the House Moves team who I assume handled your house move.
Have you checked your upstream sync speed from your router stats? If upstream sync speed is just below 448kbps with measured speeds around 350kbps it is likely that you have been provisioned with upstream capped. In this case I suggest asking for upstream to be uncapped.
David
RChapman

These are the details from the router...
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 445 / 17,238
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 8.45 / 97.35

And upstream details from BTspeedtest...
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The BT IP Profile should now be 15.21Mbps and Plusnet's Current line speed needs to be set to 15.2Mbps to give you the correct download speeds.
Upstream speeds are indeed capped, but will be uncapped without charge if you request this.
David
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
I've changed your profile on our systems and you should now be seeing speeds of around 15.5mbps.
The order to uncap your upload has been placed as well and should complete tomorrow.
Any further issues please give us a shout
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RChapman

Quote from: Matthew
I've changed your profile on our systems and you should now be seeing speeds of around 15.5mbps.

I can see the current line speed has been updated to 15.5mbps, but we're still only getting speeds of around 6.5mbps, does it take a while to take effect? Or do I need to restart the router?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The change should have dropped your current session.
Can you please log into your router and click on the 'Disconnect' button, then click on the 'Connect', this should resolve the issue for you.
If it doesn't, please let us know.
RChapman

Done as above and now getting speeds of just above 15mbps, excellent stuff!
Many thanks for your help Chris, Matthew and spraxyt!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Brilliant - enjoy! Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Smiley
Has your phone number/exchange information still to be corrected? And is your new address shown under Account Details in the Member Centre?
David
RChapman

Phone number and address is correct in the member centre, but still showing wrong number and wrong exchange on plusnet line speed page.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Check again and that should be updated Wink