cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed has dropped off to nowt in last 6 months

reetpetite
Grafter

Line speed has dropped off to nowt in last 6 months

Hiya. Long term customer here. When I got PN in 2010 I was getting 9mb on my overhead copper line.
Since then it has got slower ... and slower .. and slower.
Today I got a current sync/line speed of 3.9mb and at peak times I am getting 2.1mb down and lolup. This means I can't actually stream HD youtube videos.  Cry
I am getting billions of HEC/FEC/CRC errors in my router. I have plugged it in to the master socket and removed the phone AND changed the filters multiple times.
But am not concerned about those (see end of post).
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 12:40:38
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,128 / 4,292
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,115 / 7,704
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 152.87 / 2.41
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 33.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 196,607 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 120,986 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 19,425 / 3,334,091
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 147 / 3,552,284

I've just run the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test which confirmed the 3rd party test results and tossed in a 180ms ping latency (ouch).
Further diagnostics:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.8 Mbps  Crazy
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

So yeah.
Guys! I found a problem .. my BB has reduced in speed from almost 10mb to 7-8mb for the last year or so now to ... 2mb today.
That's definitely a problem for me lol.
Can someone help?  Grin
If my line profile is up in the 6mb range and I am only getting 2mb its got to be the network not the line right?
The number of errors in the router is silly but this router has always produced lots of errors. I suspect the router itself is just squiffy as I have another one which doesn't record anywhere near as many errors on the same line (tested and also tops out at 2mb/s).  Obviously I have tried changing the router (as mentioned) and rebooting it. I have also tried turning it off for 20+ mins/overnight to force it to connect to  a new gateway with mixed results there. Maybe you can tell your end if its you or the hardware/line?
If the contention ratio in my area has exploded in recent years I would appreciate straight talking there so I can make an informed decision about maybe seeking another provider ..  Smiley
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 25

Re: Line speed has dropped off to nowt in last 6 months

Hi,
A good opening post with most of the right information needed to help you.  Can you please find out what your current speed is in the PN portal?
Looking at what you have provided...
1. The maximum bandwidth reported by the router (that which could be achieved if all the tones were clean) is less than the actual synch speed.  This is possibly indicative of a squiffy router so trying something else would be sensible.
2. The current speed is somewhat less than what would be expected for the reported line attenuation - again possibly a router issue or it could be a line issue or local electrical interference.
3. Yup the error counts are very silly - router or line problem
4. Contention issues - if this exists at your exchange, changing ISPs is not likely to make a difference.  For that matter, if this is a local line issue, then the same applies!
So let's take this on a step by step process...
1. Is your phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 ideally on a wired phone connected to the master socket.  There should be no crackle, hiss or pops on the line.  If there is raise a voice / pots problem with your phone provider.
2. Please describe your internal phone wiring - what is connected where to the phone line - extension cable type / how connected / location & type of filter
3. Try the router plugged into the master socket if not already there, if it is connect to the test socket / change the filter and repost the stats on here.
4. If there is no improvement, raise a fault report / follow the diagnostic instructions here - http://faults.plus.net
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 68

Hi reetpetite,
Sorry to read bout the issues with your connection, I'd agree with Townman's suggestions and please do raise a fault using the link above if you don't get anywhere with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
reetpetite
Grafter

Ok today I restarted my modem and got some new numbers:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:11
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,112 / 7,632
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,107 / 6,648
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.44 / 28.15
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 33.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65,538 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,538 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 333
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 58

I called 17070 2 and listened to the quiet line. No noise - sounds fine.
I connected my router to the master socket and removed the face plate even. I also tried a new microfilter.
Now the issue I have is that my internet is still hella slow. I am geting 3.7mbit download speed, despite being sync'd at 6.
I have tried cycling gateway and rebooting modem etc.
Nothing else is connected to the line and I have my router plugged directly in to the master socket.
I tried opening a ticket as recommended for a fault, but since I went through the questions and there is 'no fault' ie. lights on, tone clear, line clear then it said it couldnt open a ticket.
So my question is this: why is my broadband slow? Why has it halved in speed in the last few months?
What do those errors mean in the link info?
I have tried another router btw. Same issue with errors.
If there is a line fault, how do I diagnose it?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 25

Hi,
You will have to wait for DCT to respond to the issues with raising a fault, which now might mean Monday.  Did you try to report the fault here - http://faults.plus.net/ - this should still allow the fault ticket to be opened "If the checks, tests and questions don't help you fix the problem, we'll pass your report to our Faults Team for investigation. They'll aim to run more tests and contact you within 24 hours of reporting the problem." - You need to be sure to specifiy it to be a speed fault.
When you say you restarted the router, do you mean you powered it off?  I am not happy that the LoS and ES counts still report minus 2.
What is the modem?  Is there a firmware update available for it?
What is the other modem?  Could you please try posting stats from that too?