cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed capped at 7.15Mbps

pnf
Grafter

Line speed capped at 7.15Mbps

I would like to switch to fibre broadband at some point but given that my line is currently limited to a maximum speed of 7.15Mbps I would see little benefit from such a switch for the extra cost incurred.

In 2014 due to instability caused by REIN, my line was put on a fixed noise margin (RAG status set to Amber) and limited to a maximum speed of 7.15Mbps. The REIN issue has long gone but my line is still on a 15dB noise margin and, as a result, syncing at about 7600 kbps. The line attenuation is 33dB and so the line is capable of syncing at much higher speeds. Running the BT Speed Test currently indicates that the acceptable range of speeds for my line is between 2Mbps to 7.15Mbps but it should be capable of speeds between 4Mbps to 21Mbps. Before the line was put on a fixed noise margin, the line used to sync at about 12000 kbps.

My router (TP-Link VR2800) is connected directly to the master socket and I do not have any extension sockets. My master socket is fitted with a VDSL faceplate and CAT5 cabling runs from the master socket to the drop cable outside the house. The drop cable from the telegraph pole to my house was replaced a few years ago and is therefore comparatively new. From there, my line is connected to a street cabinet about 600m away but that cable is aluminium not copper. The cable run from the street cabinet to the exchange is of good quality and performs well, with only a 2Mbps speed drop from that obtained at the exchange.

The reason for this post is to attempt to get my line running at its best possible speed with all current restrictions removed. If successful, I will then be able to consider a switch to fibre broadband.

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Line speed capped at 7.15Mbps

I don't understand your logic. If you switched to FTTC you would be on totally different broadband equipment.

What speeds/services are available to you on the dsl checker? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From there, my line is connected to a street cabinet about 600m away but that cable is aluminium not copper.

That's going to have an impact on speed. I'm not sure if the estimates will take the aluminium into account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pnf
Grafter

Thanks for your reponse.  My logic is that there may be an issue on my line that will affect Fibre as well as ADSL, but of course that may not be the case.

My line is certainly capped at the moment and I would like it to sync freely.  According to the kitz.co.uk website, with a downstream attenuation of 33db I should expect to get an IP Profile of about 11,500kbps on my current ADSL service.

When checking on the Plusnet website for Fibre, my minimum guaranteed speed is 11.9Mbps with an estimated download speed between 14 to 18Mbps and an estimated upload speed of 1Mbps.

I've attached the details from the BT Broadband Availablility Checker for my line.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

According to the checker you should be able to double your download speed on FTTC, but upload is similar.

ADSL equipment is in the exchange, but FTTC is in a cabinet so you would be starting afresh as it were.

That said, FTTP is available, I would be going for that at whatever speed you need. Not with PN though, they don't do it, and you may have to do some thinking if you want a phone number.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@pnf  First the bad news, your estimated speed for FTTC is not great at only around 20 Mbps so not a huge improvement on ADSL speeds, I guess you are a long way from the FTTC cabinet, so not much you can do about that.

Now the very good news you have WBC FTTP available 😀, that is full fibre to the premises at up to 1000Mbps if you want it. Lower speeds are also available at similar prices to FTTC, the only catch is that Plusnet don't offer it so you would a have to move to another supplier, however with the way Plusnet support is going these days that might not be a bad thing.🙄

pnf
Grafter

Yes, I noticed that FTTP is now available from my exchange.  It's such a pity that Plusnet do not yet offer that service.  Food for thought indeed.

In the first instance, I would still like to get my ADSL service sorted out and then I can consider my options ADSL, FTTC or FTTP.

As the crow flies, my FTTC cabinet is about 600 metres away, but it could be as much as twice that distance depending on the route the cable takes. Interestingly, there is a cabinet just 100 metres from my house but I'm not connected to that one.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@pnf  Just consider this, do you want to struggle on with an unreliable bodge using old copper or even worse aluminium phone lines to deliver a low speed ADSL service with FTTC not much better or get a reliable guaranteed speed full fibre connection.  It wouldn't take me long to decide if I had FTTP available, and I get full speed 80/20 FTTC.