cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental and calls only moving from BT to PO. Will my Plusnet broadband remain untouched?

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Line rental and calls only moving from BT to PO. Will my Plusnet broadband remain untouched?

I currently have line rental and phone calls with BT, and Fibre (FTTC) broadband from Plusnet.

I am switching to the Post Office for line rental and calls.  The Post Office say my Plusnet broadband will be unaffected by the switch.  Are they correct?

I have heard of instances of BT doing a full cease and reprovide when switching away (or even doing a name change).

17 REPLIES 17
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Line rental and calls only moving from BT to PO. Will my Plusnet broadband remain untouched?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line rental and calls only moving from BT to PO. Will my Plusnet broadband remain untouched?

It all depends how BT react to this in case they're notified. Post Office should otherwise be able to take over the line without broadband being affected.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regardless as to what BT do the Post Office could screw it up as they provided Broadband over TalkTalk LLU and if they move you to their LLU phone provide it will screw it up

Given that you intend to keep the phone separate why don't you consider Pulse8 which is much cheaper and they don't normally screw it up

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Pulse8 looks attractive for line rental and calls.  I've not come across them before.

Post Office have told BT they are taking over the line rental and calls.  I have told Post Office there is Plusnet broadband on the line and I wan to keep it and they said it will be OK.  But, I have experience of BT...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I agree with

If the Post Office use LLU equipment in your exchange then when the phone service migrates away it's very likely the broadband service will cease. Let us know how you get on with the migration.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Just double checked with post office.  They say that I can have PO homephone (rental and calls only) and keep Plusnet broadband.  When they take over from BT, they will not switch to their LLU equipment because only the line and calls are moving (not the broadband).

They also said if the line, calls and broadband were moving they would switch to LLU. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's good to hear.

I'm sure you have your own reasons but may I ask if you've considered moving your phone service to Plusnet? We'd be able to provide you with a cheaper deal on your broadband service.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cjags
Aspiring Pro

I did look at using Plusnet but the PO deal appears to be cheaper (at least in the first year), off peak starts at 6pm and free caller ID.  Not fussed about call packages. We use mobiles and VOIP to make calls.  The odd time we use the landline outside any free call period, we use 18185.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you don't use the landline for outgoing calls £13 per month (inc. VAT) is what you should be paying for line rental.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It rather depends as once you include Caller Display the saving is only £1 and that isn't many calls on evenings and weekends - that is assuming that you actually need that for the phone

cjags
Aspiring Pro

I am currently on unlimited fibre extra at 22.49 a month

If I switched line rental to plusnet this would rise to 29.99 a month (is that correct it isn't 100% clear).

That would be pay as you go line rental.  To add weekend calls (& evenings) is another £4 a month from what I can make out with off peak starting at 7pm.  Can't see how much Caller ID display would be and 18185 would be blocked (ok there is an 080xxxx work around).

PO homephone is £15 a month (12 month contract) includes weekend calls (6pm Fri to 6am Mon), caller ID display and can use 18185. Also free calls to other PO numbers at anytime.  And a £20 welcome bonus for being referred by a friend.

It's close.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you move your phone service to Plusnet, your broadband will be £2.50 cheaper, so £19.99 + line rental £18.99 + any call packages you choose to add. Caller Display is 99 pence per month.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Also the option to pay line rental saver for £197.88, equivalent to £16.49 a month.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Switch to Post Office Homephone is today.