cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line profile all over the place? why??

jim306
Grafter

Line profile all over the place? why??

At the beginning of the week my line profile was 2000 kbps, by thursday/friday it was 3000kbps and now today its gone down to 2500kbps. The profile has changed 3 times but my sync speed on my router is still reporting over 3600 kbps, which it has maintained this speed all week while the profile has been changing. The router has not dropped connection at all so why does the line profile have to be changed so often!
42 REPLIES 42
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Line profile all over the place? why??

Sounds like an issue at the BT end if you say your router has remained in sync during that time.
I've hear of something similar recently so I suggest you raise a fault ticket and get it investigated. PN will be able to check the logs on their side to see if it is showing any disconnections.
prichardson
Grafter

Records show your connection dropped at 1312 on the 2nd of November. BTs own records confirm this and have logged a Delta report showing a resync speed of 2848kbps ~15 mins later (the expected result).
Records show your line speed does not vary much and there is no record of any 3000kbps record (the records I see only go back to the 23rd of October).
It does show two records of 3424kbps on your sync speed, the timestamps of these, older and newer record suggest this was not held for any longer than 48 hours.
This would explain why a 3000kbps profile was never applied.
2500kbps is the correct records based on everything I see.
jim306
Grafter

A bt speedtest on Friday showed a 3000kbps profile and also on my account on the plusnet site was showing a 3000kbps profile.
I have just done a bt speedtest which showed the following results:  IP profile 2500kbps, connection rate 448 (up) 3360 (down) and actual throughput 2288
At the beginning of the week when my profile was 2000kbps the bt speedtester gave the follwoing results: Ip profile 2000kbps, connection rate 448 (up) 3328 (down) actual throughput 1790.
Here are some stats from my router which has been connected since friday afternoon.
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 10.0  20.0 
Attenuation (dB): 56.0  29.0 
Output Power (dBm): 12.4  18.9 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3648  1076 
Rate (Kbps): 3360  448 
When I Opened this premier account in february it had a line profile of 3000-3500 for a couple of months, but recently has been suffering very poor speeds, the other week it dropped to a 1500kbps profile but my router shows over 3000kbps rates all the time.
There must be a problem either with BT or plusnets management of my line profile. Or a fault on my line because the records you have dont match up with ones i have. Why does one connection drop have to lower my connection rate for the next 3 days or whatever it is? i dont care if my connection drops once a day, id rather have a higher consistent speed and a connection drop every day, than it being 1.5 meg one day then 3 meg the next. I would like to change supplier to an adsl2+ provider but ive been with plusnet for a very long time with 2 seperate accounts at different propertys, so i would like someone from plusnet to look into this further as its been an ongoing problem for a long time.
prichardson
Grafter

At this moment in time, there is nothing to investigate.
The log files are pretty clear in showing a disconnect occured. This is matched both in the data BT present is both in real-time and historically, along with that as collected on our systems (ignoring data supplied as a feed from BT).
Real-time data shows no line faults with only a single error on your line in the entire 48 hours online.
Quite frankly, based on your line stats and that of the historical data, the 2500kbps profile is correct for the line you are on. The fact you are syncronising higher is not indicative of anything.
You are on a longer length line and the variations seen are perfectly normal line conditions.
As a faults analyst I will tell you straight, not fault would be found on your line if raised to BT. It would progress to an engineer as a result of no faults being found and the chances stand high of charges being applied.
Can I ask, how have you immiminate internal cabling?
99% of charges from engineer visits are down to 2 reasons.
1: Internal cabling.
2: The equipment in use (not limited to your modem, but includes filters, phones and other telephone equipment)
You would need to try an alternate modem as the only device on the line with all your internal cabling isolated, for upto 5 days, as proof that none of these elements are to blame.
The internal cabling can be isolated by using the test socket located on the master socket.
jim306
Grafter

ok i can see what you are saying from the line stats you have, but what date do your stats go back to? I have BT speedtest results that go back to january 2007 what have much higher results than recent ones.
My telephone line was also a new line at the time, the BT engineer fitted a new master socket, i have no other telephones or extensions whatsoever and the only thing plugged into the master socket is a filter and my router what are plugged into the test socket.
jim306
Grafter

Also why is it that you say "The fact you are syncronising higher is not indicative of anything" when one of your collegues says the exact opposite in another thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2584.0.html
"Attenuation doesn't directly affect line speed, but the synchronisation speed does"
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately the only data available from BT goes back to the 31st August, showing the profile at 2500 and a sync rate of 2848.
With regard to my colleague's previous comment the profile will be adjusted in 500kbit (or so) increments and if the line does not stay synced above this for 3 days the profile will not be altered. This is why at present your sync rate has no effect.
It seems that your line has been self adjusting since February this year (as per the tickets on your account, you state that the line was in sync at 2700 at that time). Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be anything we can do to uplift this, as my colleague states BT will reject any speed faults raised on this line at the moment.
zubel
Community Veteran

Sync speeds generally *will* deteriorate over the length of time you're suggesting.
Sync speed is a factor of line *quality* which is a factor of line length.  However, other factors can affect the line quality.
Over time, it is likely that the cable between you and the exchange is spliced or switched - for example if an estate of new houses gets built nearby.  Also, it is possible that crosstalk can occur between two cables run close to each other. 
Sync speed is not a definate figure and is affected by all sorts of environmental criteria.
BT will investigate a 'line fault' if your current sync speed falls outside of their initial line tests.  Off the top of my head, I vaguely recall that during your initial 10-day training period BT will have effectively 'certified' your line to run at a particular speed.  If your speed drops below this rate, then it is possible to raise a fault.  This is not the same as the Sync speed, but I believe it was around 70% for Max Stable Rate (MSR)
B.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I believe it was around 70% for Max Stable Rate (MSR)

This is correct - from a line test I can see that your FTR (fault threshold rate) is set at 2278kbit/s so if your sync rate does fall (and remain) below this we will be able to raise a speed fault for you. You will need to submit BT speed test results to prove this, but if you raise this to us via the checker at http://faults.plus.net this will ask for speed test results prior to the fault beoing raised.
Hope this helps,
jim306
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Unfortunately the only data available from BT goes back to the 31st August, showing the profile at 2500 and a sync rate of 2848.
With regard to my colleague's previous comment the profile will be adjusted in 500kbit (or so) increments and if the line does not stay synced above this for 3 days the profile will not be altered. This is why at present your sync rate has no effect.
It seems that your line has been self adjusting since February this year (as per the tickets on your account, you state that the line was in sync at 2700 at that time). Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be anything we can do to uplift this, as my colleague states BT will reject any speed faults raised on this line at the moment.

Thats not good enough, not the answer im looking for at all. I simply want to know why my connection speed has dropped from 3500kbps in february to 1500-2500 from august to now? and what can be done to recitfy this.
The data you have from bt is no use as it doesnt show speeds i recieved before august which was when my issue with slower speed started.
Its just not good enough at 21.99 per month with the useage restrictions that are in use. A difference of 1000kbps in speed is massive when you are restricted to the hours you can get full speed.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: jim306
Here are some stats from my router which has been connected since friday afternoon.
Downstream Upstream

Quite honestly you are getting an excellent speed.
AFAIK If BT had predicted an attenuation of > 62.5 dB they would have told you to forget broadband.
Since you have achieved 56dB you should expect anything in excess of 512kb/s to be a bonus.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jim306
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Downstream Upstream

Quite honestly you are getting an excellent speed.
AFAIK If BT had predicted an attenuation of > 62.5 dB they would have told you to forget broadband.
Since you have achieved 56dB you should expect anything in excess of 512kb/s to be a bonus.

This is exactly my point, if im getting 56db attenuation then surely there is excess interference on my line which isnt down to anything in my property so is a BT fault, im not saying that plusnet are providing me a poor speed but as i only use this line for broadband and plusnet are who im paying my hard earned cash to every month then they should investigate this with bt for me.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As I said above - unless your sync speed drops below 2278kbit/s and you can prove this with a BT speed test, there is no point raising a fault. This is what will most likely happen:
We raise the fault, BT will reject it, we'll pass it back asking them to investigate further, they'll reject it again, we'll pass it back again, they'll request an engineer visit, the engineer will find no fault and you'll be charged the standard engineer admin charge of £144 + vat. This is levied by BT and is something over which we have no control.
Having spent the last 2 years dealing with ADSL faults I know that unfortunately this is the likely outcome.
Apologies for the hassle,
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This is exactly my point, if im getting 56db attenuation then surely there is excess interference on my line which isnt down to anything in my property so is a BT fault, im not saying that plusnet are providing me a poor speed but as i only use this line for broadband and plusnet are who im paying my hard earned cash to every month then they should investigate this with bt for me.

56 dB attenuation means that the signal from the exchange is being attenuated by a factor of almos 1,000. Presumably you live 4+ miles from your exchange? Any noise from external sources or by your equipment is not attenuated. This means that the signal/noise ratio is poor.
You will notice that a SNR margin of 10 dB (normally 6dB is standard) has been set. Presumably this is an attempt to guarantee a usable S/N ratio?
Have you tried asking for this to be lowered to 6dB?
Risky - but might work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."