cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line profile after period of instability.

FIXED
ianfretwell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Line profile after period of instability.

A short while ago I 'upgraded' from a Draytek 2862Lac to a 2866Lac...

My original sync speeds were typically about 60/10.

I'm now down to 40/8 - primarily because the new router (and its firmware) haven't been particularly stellar. It's been rebooted - a lot.  Which has presumably caused the DSLAM to adjust my line.  I know for certain that downstream SNR has been moved from 3 to 6 and upstream from 5 to 6.

Hopefully I'm now back in a stable position.

Is it just a waiting game now to see whether the router remains stable & the DSLAM does it's thing or can somebody perform any kind of reset that might speed things up - if the line has been changed to something that can be changed - profile type ?

Many thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
ianfretwell
Grafter

Re: Line profile after period of instability.

PerfTest.jpgBTChecker.jpg

ianfretwell
Grafter

Could any PN staff comment ?   DLMReset perhaps ?   Profile change ?

@Gandalf 

Thanks

ianfretwell
Grafter

As fun as it is talking to myself it really would be appreciated if a member of PN staff could comment on this please.

Maybe I should have just put DLMReset as the subject line - seems to be working for everybody else!

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Ian, apologies for the delayed staff response. We're just incredibly busy.

I've done a DLM reset for you now, but I'm not entirely confident it'll help as the line profile is showing at "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Retransmission (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-8.5M with Retransmission (High)" which suggests there's no banding or artificial restriction placed on your speeds. 

However let me know how things look within the next 24 hours. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks (and apologies for pushing!) , yes I guessed something might have been done as it has just done a resync - & as you suggested with no real change.

I can't understand why both up and downstream would have dropped by 20% if the DSLAM wasn't involved. The speed drops were consistent with the new router being rebooted - with the SNR steadily rising from 3dB to the current 6db  -  do you think given enough time this might be changed back automatically?   (If you still have access to my line stats from early June you should see things how they were and then becoming increasingly worse after the 22nd).

Draytek stats.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Gandalf  Would you look at the upstream profile again?

That looks like banding to me!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ian,

No worries. I'm afraid we can only see 14 days of historic data and I don't know if your speed will increase by itself, but as your download speed's below the lowest estimate for your line of 49mbps, can I tempt you with an engineer visit to investigate further? If you're okay with that, when could you be available?

The engineers are available weekday timeslots (and occasionally Saturday's) of 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

@Gandalf   Quite happy to have an engineer visit.

Preferably an afternoon slot - the only time I can't be available this week is Wednesday, week after currently anytime is fine.

Thanks,

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. I've booked the engineer visit for tomorrow 1pm to 6pm. Let me know how it goes. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Fix

@Gandalf 

Openreach engineer turned up yesterday as planned - couldn't have asked for a more helpful guy.

Went through loads of things, re-terminated various connections, actually swapped the line to another pair. Then had a colleague force the line SNR back down to 3dB.

Subsequently my speed is back into the mid-50's which is absolutely fine as far as I'm concerned (let's hope it holds...)

Please close the support call - and thanks for the assistance.

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, glad to see the engineer's helpful efforts have brought your speed back up!

If you'd like to pass your thanks onto the engineer, I'd recommend filling out this form https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/thank-an-engineer-form to let Openreach know as I'm sure they'd also appreciate it. 

I've closed the ticket now but let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet