cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line installation chaos

benjohnson11
Grafter

Re: Line installation chaos

BT have been wafting around every now and then for three months but every time I've seen them they just seem to be asking about what exchange we are going to be using.
There is a box on the pole at the end of our drive but I couldn't tell you if this is new or not. It's quite possible that it went in when we were at work.
While it does seem odd that BT would install a line that cannot be used with broadband it would not be overly surprising given everything I've learnt about how Openreach operate.
Tony, can you give me an update as to what has happened as soon as you know? I could ring the support line but I always seem to get the same answer.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Rather odd ... .the telephone system shows that the order is complete. What are you currently seeing from your side?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

I received an email from Plusnet to say that the phone order was complete, and then one straight after to say that my broadband order was delayed.
I can't see anything other than a telephone socket in the wall. I don't know if the line is active as I don't have a phone to plug in to it. I've no need for a house phone, just the broadband!
What can I check for? Shall I plug the router in?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd strongly recommend getting hold of a wired phone - if you having issues with broadband speed or disconnections the first thing to check is if the phone is working correctly or has background noise. You might strike lucky in a charity shop and get one very cheap, otherwise ask around, people might old ones where they've replaced them with a cordless phone (I've taken two to the dump very recently).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
benjohnson11
Grafter

@jelv
I take your point, very sensible.
benjohnson11
Grafter

Tony, I've now had conflicting reports from Plusnet as to the status of the broadband order, please can you check.
I received an email on Saturday that said our broadband would be enabled on Saturday 7th Feb.
I have also just had a reply to my emailed complaint (sent on 27th January) that the broadband order is delayed again.
Please can you check this and provide me with an update? Conflicting reports are rather par for the course with this order.
benjohnson11
Grafter

My comment might have got missed among all the others.
Could you look at this please Tony?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm sorry for missing your original post.
I've checked BT systems which I admit are rather confusing. The contractual date (the actual date of activation) is still set for tomorrow. Unfortunately, their is an error showing a delay. I'm going to try to get some further information on this from BT for you now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Apparently the underground skills engineer is working on the line. I appreciate that this is no use to you right now, but I've been told to check back for an update tomorrow.
I'm not in the office, but I'm sure a colleague will get this picked up for you.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

Thanks Tony. Please get someone to check again tomorrow for me.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've messaged Chris who I hope can pick it up for you in the morning.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
catelliott
Grafter

Hi there,
I've e-chatted our suppliers today regarding getting you connected, they have advised that work needs to be done on the line to get the DACS system removed. We're hoping to have a further update for you on Monday. I'm really sorry I can't give you any further information today.
benjohnson11
Grafter

So, let me get this straight. After almost four months this is where we are:
The BT engineer told me he was installing a DACS phone line that didn't allow for broadband.
BT then told Plusnet that this wasn't the case.
Now BT are saying that the order is being delayed again to remove the DACS line that they did or didn't install depending on who you believe?
This is completely absurd.
Please can someone explain to me what Plusnet are doing to get this solved? I understand that BT are doing the work but nobody from Plusnet seems to be doing anything unless I complain.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you actually need a phone line or is the line solely for you to get broadband? If it is the latter I recommend you do not make ANY calls using it (except perhaps to Plusnet) and do not give the number to anyone - then I suggest you refuse to pay for it until you have the broadband.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
benjohnson11
Grafter

Morning. I don't have any need for a phone line to make calls on as I use a mobile for this, hence why I don't have a phone to plug in yet. The 3G signal at home is really weak so it's difficult to use any kind of tethering from my phone.
Sadly I paid for the line rental upfront to save a bit of money so Plusnet have already had over £200 from me. If I was able to get this back from them I would!
It's worth mentioning that last night I had to top up my 3G MiFi unit for a third month. Based on my usage this is costing me £20 per month.
I'm very tolerant (perhaps too tolerant) and understand that some things take time, that a new line won't be installed within a week, but given we are approaching the four month anniversary I will be requesting some of this money back from Plusnet when everything is solved.