cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line installation chaos

benjohnson11
Grafter

Line installation chaos

I've finally reached my limit with the order I placed for home broadband.
On October 12th I placed my order for home broadband and line installation to our rental property. Over three months later this still hasn't been completed and after taking the day off work for at least the third time, the BT engineer arrived at 17:45 and had to leave straight away after because it was dark so he couldn't do any outside work. Only he wasn't a BT engineer, he was a contractor, and was told nothing about our situation and what might be needed. His first comment on the phone before he arrived was "do you have a BT line?"
In the three months between we have had installation dates arranged and cancelled with less than a days notice. BT Openreach engineers have turned up unannounced and repeatedly asked our neighbours (after all, we were at work) the same questions over and over again. At least three times engineers have turned up telling us their information told them we were assigned to the wrong exchange. Every single time either me or our neighbours have told them the correct exchange.
Having been effectively stood up by the BT engineer today we are no closer to getting our line installed despite Plusnet taking money from us back in October.
I'm not confident anything will be done when I phone tomorrow, I will be given the same speech as normal, "we will look into it and give you a call back within 24 hours". While I understand that BT Openreach are those to blame, Plusnet are doing nothing to find a solution and I cannot complain to BT as I'm not their customer.
58 REPLIES 58
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Line installation chaos

@benjohnson11 welcome to the forum
Where have you been for the last three months? Didn't anyone tell you about the forum?
Well I promise you that the staff  on here and knowledgeable fellow customers will provide the very best assistance.
I believe play kicks off at nine. So expect action then  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
benjohnson11
Grafter

@PeterLoftus
Well I've been too forgiving so it seems. I have tried to look at things reasonably and realise that it isn't the fault of Plusnet but ultimately they should be keeping an eye on BT to sort things out.
I knew our line would take a while to install, that's part of the reason for my patience, but I never thought it would take this long to still be no further forward.
If I could complain directly to BT I would, but they are nicely shielded from that!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm really sorry to learn of the problems you've had. I've looked at the update from our supplier which doesn't look too promising. I want to try to get someone to take this on personally for you in the hope that we can manage our supplier and get everything sorted for you. This won't be a quick fix though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

Thanks Tony
There has been nothing quick about this so far so I can't say I'm surprised at all.
A few days ago I learnt that BT Openreach have been putting off installing our line because someone down the road is also considering getting extra lines and BT don't want to do one without the other. They haven't decided yet, and so I don't get my line.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do OFCOM have rules about delays in providing a phone line and compensation?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't believe so. However, we want to ensure the customer is online as soon as possible and so we'll so everything possible to sort that out. Other matters are dealt with on a case by case basis and we'll sort this with our customer once we've got them online.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

Tony, I have just received an email from Plusnet to say that all external work has been completed and the phone line will be installed on Friday morning.
I'm shocked that all external work has been done as it certainly wasn't done last night. Please can you check if this is actually the case so that I don't take a day off work unnecessarily.
Thanks
Ben
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Sorry for the delay in replying, it's taken quite a bit of chasing as I was more than a little concerned after seeing the order. However, I am assured (by Openreach themselves) that the appointment will go ahead tomorrow.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

Thanks Tony
I phoned customer support at 12 and that's what they said as well. Thank you for checking with Openreach as well, that gives me a little more confidence.
Let's hope that if Openreach send another contractor that they've actually given him some information this time.
I'll report back, hopefully with good news.
benjohnson11
Grafter

Tony, I understand that BT are installing a DACS line and that this doesn't allow for broadband.
Please can you check this?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Where did you get this from?
You are correct, DACS won't work with broadband. There was mention of DACS when I spoke to them yesterday, but they checked to see that it wasn't on your line.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
benjohnson11
Grafter

The engineer this morning said that he was installing a DACS line.
He was in and out in less than an hour which seems suspicious to me.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

A plan of action then is to wait for his notes (either today or tomorrow), and then try to find out why they've done this. I need to know what else they've done and what works. For this reason, I need to wait for visibility of his notes.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Is there a DACS unit visible on a nearby pole or side of your property?   If the engineer was only around for an hour it seems unlikely that he installed it today. It could possibly have been installed earlier, have you seen any BT activity nearby? It seems odd that as you ordered Broadband, BT would think it OK to install a line that can't provide it. Sad