Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line in 10 day training period

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Line in 10 day training period

Will it be ok to soft disconnect, something unexpected happened early today, my speed has dropped and my latency has nearly doubled.
35 REPLIES 35
James
Grafter

Re: Line in 10 day training period

Yep Smiley
30FTTC06
Pro

Cheers James
James
Grafter

The soft disconnect doesn't actually impact your synchronisation (which is what determines the training period outcome).  It just drops and restarts your PPP session.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds like DLM may have already done the dirty. But drop the PPP and reConnect, and then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
The IP profile will then tell you what's happened to your sync speed!
How many days since the reset? This is your FTTC connection I assume?
30FTTC06
Pro

@Anotherone, It has been rock solid for 6 days up untill 5/6 am this morning at which point it went a bit bonky.
I've got about 3 people using the net atm so i'll have to try that test in the morning now.
@James thanks fof the info.
30FTTC06
Pro

I've done a soft disconnect but it still seems low to normal Anotherone. But i'll do a test when the line is quiet.
I couldn't wait......
New
Download speedachieved during the test was - 24.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-34.66 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 34.66 Mbps
6 days ago
Download speedachieved during the test was - 28.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Yes FTTC connection.
Anotherone
Champion

The key is in the Profile 34.66 compared to 38.71 previously. The latter would have had you syncing at 40Mbps, it's now ~35.8Mbps.
FTTC DLM can be especially aggressive in the first 2 days, thereafter it can just be aggressive ... ad infinitum.
Check your Current Line speed (Login required) it should match the 34.6, if it's lower,Plusnet need to bump it up for you.
ericgripp
Grafter

I'm wondering if BT Wholesale/Openreach have made changes within the last week.
I notice my FFTC estimated speed has been revised downwards from 66 to 62 even though my synch means my ip profiles is 77 + Meg, speedtest.net to servers in and around London is bad right now with lowest speed test im seeing at 55 Meg. I think im on PCL-AG01.
Will have to wait till tonight and test to see if speeds return to Normal, but my plusnet FFTC connection compared to my sky FFTC connection has shown wilder fluctuations in speed. I appreciate its a contended service, but I even pay extra for prioritised connection, and to see your speeds go from 73/74 to the low 50's high 40's makes you question if FTTC is a sustainable product.
Its not as if the uptake in this area has been high I would have thought, and the exchange shows no congestion issues either, so what gives plusnet ? why am I synching at 77 + and seeing such low speeds ?
Meh
Anotherone
Champion

Are you sure you are syncing at 77+? - Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds. Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
If you want to post the results, just do a Copy and Paste of the results and post (no need to grab an image).
FYI if all you want to know is your Downstream sync speed then you can derive this from the Downstream BT IP Profile, profile x1.033 = Sync speed on FTTC.
30FTTC06
Pro

@ericgripp No idea tbh, here is another graph of the last 7 days or so.
ericgripp
Grafter

Hi Anotherone
I don't want to de-rail from OP thread but results are :
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
73.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 73.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps (79.95 synch according to your formula)
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
14.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
So the upload is a bit on the slow side but downstream is what id expect (apologies btw im at work at the moment so speedtest is done via a box using logmein)
The above is the BT wholesale speedtest. I tried this at 16:00 hours and at 15:33 previously. It was at 15:33 I was seeing results of 45/49 Mbps and at 16:00 60/65 Mbps
The connection has been stable for over 5 days so AFAIK theres no problem between the house and the cabinet. Also where I live is a small town and the demand for FTTC on that cabinet I know will be low. Cant really comment on the exchange however but no status sites report of any congestion at the exchange.
So if theres no congestion and FTTC demand in the area is low, why with plusnet do I see such wild swings in speed. Don't get me wrong I don't sit there all day doing speedtest, but everyone has a right to test now and again to make sure everythings working as it should. I can only think between the exchange where I live and between London where it seems to terminate before going out onto the WWW, there is some bandwidth issue/congestion problem.
I do find it very strange that the BT Wholesale speed checker is also so far out. Estimaed 62 ( was 66 back on 25th April) compared to the actual results I ma getting ? don't get me wrong im not complaining and I know its not plusnets fault, butit just tells me as usual BT are talking out their a**es as usual
James
Grafter

@30FTTC06
You are syncing at 35.8Mbps.
Anotherone
Champion

@James, 30FTTC06  Wink
Quote from: Anotherone
The key is in the Profile 34.66 compared to 38.71 previously. The latter would have had you syncing at 40Mbps, it's now ~35.8Mbps.

@ericgripp
You need to drop and reconnect the PPP session before the BTw tester will give the correct IP Profile.
But I expect James will post back in a minute and tell you what your sync speed it  Smiley
James
Grafter

Just shout when you have reconnected and I can check again.