Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line faults and broadband speed

hooverman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Line faults and broadband speed

I reported a sudden drop in broadband speed having carried out the relevant checks contacted plusnet who after carrying out checks advised me there appeared to to be a fault on my line ,I aggreed to the charge of £50 if the engineer found the fault was on my end of the telephone point a appointment was booked  for today but I had a call from BTOR saying that my line was ok  ,I asked what was the fault and was told it was a line fault and the engineer visit would be cancelled , So what would a line fault that did not require a engineers visit be ,and how when can I expect my broadband speed to get back to normal
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Line faults and broadband speed

A telephone fault was raised for you, so I'm assuming there was either noise on the line, or testing showed a fault on the PSTN side of the line.
Your speeds are slower because your line is banded, and this is because your line is (or was) very intermittent. We need to ensure the line remains stable, and then do a few other checks. Assuming all is OK, we'll then be able to remove the banding for you.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
hooverman
Rising Star

thanks tony for your answer just needed to understand
hooverman
Rising Star

after the drop of my broadband speed plusnettony advised me the banding would be taken off my broadband when my line is stable any ideal of a time frame for my speed to increase , I am concerned That I was told my line was ok from a guy with a Indian accent from a call centre possibilly in Asia ,how does he know my line is now ok without speaking to the appropiate engineer
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm assuming that this was Openreach that rang you? If so, apart from being most unusual that you had a call, this would have been about the phone not broadband. Your line is still banded, but the connection is not stable enough at the moment to risk removing it.
I hope that clarifies matters.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
hooverman
Rising Star

thanks plusnettony I spoke to Bill in your faults team  via phone and he has explained to me how the call centre in Indian works and that he has unbanded my line like you ,Both yourself and Bill have been extreamly helpfull
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks for the feedback, I've passed this onto Bill for you.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team