cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line attenuation changed by 18db, very confused!

c0dec
Grafter

Line attenuation changed by 18db, very confused!

Ok so kind of a long story but ill try to cut it down...
So my line running on my old Linksys WAG200G used to sync as follows which I was very happy with, it was extremely stable:
Linksys WAG200G
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: G.dmt
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 8128 kbps
Upstream Rate: 832 kbps
Downstream Margin: 9 db
Upstream Margin: 14 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 29 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 7.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 12 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 5 db
I then had a fault on my line, this was 'fixed' by BT but since then the router stats on exactly the same router, new RJ11, new microfilter looked like the following:
Linksys WAG200G
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: G.dmt
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 6496 kbps
Upstream Rate: 832 kbps
Downstream Margin: 4 db
Upstream Margin: 8 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 41 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 13 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 11 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 5 db
As you can see my downstream attenuation has jumped up 12db! Whilst this seems like alot its not high enough and my sync isn't low enough to raise it as a fault. Also my SNR now flicks between 0 - 6db, where as it used to be happily around 9db.
Anyway as I somehow (and probably stupidly thought) ill try another router to help the issues. So I purchased a DGTeam flashed Netgear DG834GT as ive been reading good things about them. I've plugged it in tonight and without tweaking it my speed has increased to 6720Kbps and my SNR is now stable at 6db rather than flicking around all over the place. However my downstream line attenuation has increased further! Its now sitting at 47db and my downsteam is now 23db! Im really confused why it would jump up this high considering all i've done is plug in a different router.
SNR before and after the switch of routers:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/capturemwd.png/
Netgear DG834GT
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/capture2ow....
Also as im new to Netgear routers and the Routerstats app, can someone please explain this graph to me, it looks like my attenuation flys up dramatically for whatever reason, is this normal? I would assume not.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/capture3e.png/
Can anyone please help diagnose this for me? I'm lost to say the least.
Many thanks
Dan
22 REPLIES 22
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Line attenuation changed by 18db, very confused!

Have you tried the test socket?
c0dec
Grafter

I only ever run out of the test socket, im way past that stage.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Ok. The attentuation increasing that much would indicate a fault. Have you raised another fault indicating this?
c0dec
Grafter

Apparently its not classed as a fault according to Plusnet as my speed is sitting within the acceptable range Sad
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Have you told them that the attentuation has increased though? If you show them the two different stats, they will check your line history and do something about it. Failing that, when one of the Digital Care Team come back online you can ask them to help you.
c0dec
Grafter

I would love for this to be the case but ive showed them the info on various occasions, on the forums and in my outstanding ticket but apparently there is nothing they can do due to my line still performing 'ok'. even though my noise increasing by 18db clearly shows there is something wrong in my eyes.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Send Joanne or Adam a message with all this information and explain your problems. I know you have posted already, but I would recommend asking again.
c0dec
Grafter

I have already spoken to Jojo and she cannot help Sad
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

What exactly did she say? It is very unusual for them to not to help. They usually go out of their way to help you.
godsell4
Rising Star

It sounds like BT have done a 'lift and shift' on your line. it looks like the line you have been shifted to is worse than the line you were on. Sad This is a guess.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I don't think a lift and shift would cause your attentuation to increase. A lift and shift doesn't change your line, it just moves the existing line onto another pair in the exchange. Changing the e or d side pairs would change your line, but a lift and shift wouldn't.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Plus, he hasn't moved further away from the exchange, so this wouldn't cause the attentuation to increase.
c0dec
Grafter

They have done around 4 lifts and shifts on my line during the fault period as well as changing the line card at the exchange which fixed the fault. I'm now synced at 8128 kbps without any drops, but still, the attenuation increased of 18db is insane!
According to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php I should only be able to get 5536 kbps, im currently sitting happy at 8128 kbps with my SNR not dropping below 1.2db. According to the same site, my 18db increase shows a line length increase of 1.3km.... lol
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Your DG834GT link doesn't work so I can't see the difference between it and the Linksys.