cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line attenuation BTHomeHub2-49ZS

paddyfiddler

Line attenuation BTHomeHub2-49ZS

My speed has been slow since I changed to Plusnet. Currently 500Kb/s.  I have done some tests on the router and my line attenuation is:  down =67dB and up 31.5dB.  Looking at these figures I think that there maybe a problem with my BT line.  These readings were obtained by plugging directly into the BT line ie faceplate removed.  BTW I also replaced the ADSL line filter.  I need some input from the techies please to resolve this problem. Then hopefully I will get a decent download speed!  Embarrassed
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line attenuation BTHomeHub2-49ZS

Hi paddyfiddler,
67db is quite a long line. I'll take a look for you and see if I can shed any light on it for you.
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

500k would be about right if you have a 67dB line. If you are a long way from your exchange then the high attenuation is simply due to the long length of copper wire, and there is nothing much anyone can do to improve it. Of course, if you are not that far from the exchange then there may be a fault somewhere. What speeds were you getting with your previous supplier?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Denzil,
After a line check I found his attenuation to be 63. He is now going to try a different router as his latest sync rate was a whopping 160k!
Jojo Smiley
paddyfiddler

JoJo
Now on Plusnet router Line attenuation now 10.0 / 17.0.  Looks like the BTHub has a problem.  I assume that my speeds will now improve!  Thanks for your prompt response to my original query- impressed!!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paddyfiddler,
Great news, the sync rate is now 7616k, so it won't be long before you're getting a 6500k profile. Chuck the hub in the bin (remove your details from it first though!)
Jojo Smiley
paddyfiddler

Hi Jojo
Many thanks once again for your help.  Should now be flying soon- compared to what speeds i had before!!
Denzil
Grafter

Wow! I've got a (genuine) 65-and-a-bit dB line, and I wish I could make it go that fast just by changing the router Grin