cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed slower than expected

dtrumble
Dabbler

Re: Line Speed slower than expected

Yea I am 1.7 miles from the exchange but my line length could be much longer due to the way in which the BT cables are routed.
Also I have another socket upstairs which is coming from the main socket downstairs.  Could this cause noise?  Or did I bypass this anyway by connecteing to the test socket underneath the face plate?  
edit:  Yes jelv it was only connected for 16 mins.  I will leave it connected for a day and post up the results.
Thanks for the help!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

One thing you need to be aware of is that as far as possible you should power the router up and leave it connected. Disconnecting/reconnecting frequently can make the BT systems think your line is unstable and increase the SNR Margin target. Ideally reconnect once a day at most (a lot of people leave their router on permanently).
When you use the test socket inside the master you should find that all other sockets are dead - if they are not you have a problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dtrumble
Dabbler

Ok I have left my router plugged into the test socket for about 21 hrs and there are quite a few errors being reported.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 20:55:40
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,920
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 60.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 16.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 21 / 8,752
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 21 / 61
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 45

The throughput speed went up to 1.41 Mbps today even though my IP Profile is 1 Mbps ?? Dont understand that one! But at least its speeding up!
If we can manage to get it up to 2 Mbps I will be happy and leave you all alone  Grin
mapletree
Grafter

There's probably a lag between your actual IP profile and what is reported.  I expect it will catch up soon.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That seems like quite a lot of errors to me (anyone else have a view on this?).
Is there any noise on your line when you use the phone (you can test by dialling 17070 and use option 2)?
dtrumble
Dabbler

I just did the BT Quiet Line Test and there was a very slight noise on the line, but its barely noticeable.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Keep an eye on the errors and see if you can tell if they are steadily accumulating or if you get a load of them at the same time - if the latter can you tie it to an event (e.g. using the phone, using some other electrical equipment).
Have you got a spare filter you could try to see if that changes things - filters do go wrong occasionally, and some are better than others.
mapletree
Grafter

I'd be interested to know what level of errors is "OK".  When my broadband was working I used to see a number of FEC/HEC errors.
godsell4
Rising Star

The number of errors reported by the user below is quite low, but as jelv said, if you can see that number changing quickly at times when the problems are happening gives a clue tot he problem being interference.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: dtrumble

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,920
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 60.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 16.5
If we can manage to get it up to 2 Mbps I will be happy and leave you all alone  Grin

You are on a very long line, much more than the 1.7miles as the crow flies between you and the exchange! Sad
I am on a 55dB line and 3 miles from the exchange following the road to my house, I have been up at 3Mb or more for many months, over time this is degrading, I am now less than 2Mb. The factors in that degradation could be many. You need to get above 2272kb/s for a 2Mb connection, you may get it for a short time period, but do not expect it to last.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

A few thoughts here, how long have you been on PN now and were you on a Fixed Rate package before at Tiscali? If you were on a fixed rate before then a variety of things can go on during the maxDSL training period.
There are few definitive guides on the number of errors, but I don't think I'd bat much of an eyelid at the Downstream errors, although the numbers aren't high it is the Upstream errors that seem a bit high.
When you listen to/use your phone have you heard any cracling or other intermittent noises on the line previously and if so was this repaired or did it just seem to go away?
If you've not got any noise/crackles (the noise you mentioned earlier ..if a very gentle quiet shhhh that's fine), I'd try a filter change first as has been suggested. Make sure it is a quality filter (especially important on a long line) meeting BT spec sin346. Those that look like double adapters are generally lower quality than the "rat's-tail" type.
Also, your extension wiring may add interference. Only the wires to terminals 2 & 5 on the rear of the removeable faceplate should be connected in a broadband situation, same at the extension socket. Remove any orange wires on terminals 3 & 4 by gently pulling them vertically out of the IDC connectors, coil them up neatly and tuck them back out of the way.
Post your latest stats when you've swapped filters.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: dtrumble
Hi, Im new to Plusnet just switched over from Tiscali a few days ago. 

do you have the router stats you can post here from when you were connected to Tiscali ... it is good for us to make a comparison.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
dtrumble
Dabbler

I was on a fixed 512kbps connection with Tiscali.  So I must be going through the maxDSL training period you talk about.
I have Excelsus Z-350UK filters and Excelsus Z-420UKP2J filters.  I have two of each type.  Which is the best type? 
I was considering buying one of those units that split the telephone and dsl wires at the socket (cant remember the name) as they are the best way to separate the data.
Ill have a look at the socket wiring later on and get back to you.
Thanks for the advice Anotherone.
Sorry godsell4 I dont have any router stats from when I was connected with Tiscali.
ps. my sync speed went up again to 2027kbps today.  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Any of those filters are good, the 420's have got a very good reputation. If you disconnect the bell wires (the orange ones) then the only advantage of a filtered face plate is to eliminate dangly filters. As you've got 4 good ones, wouldn't have thought it worth it.
dtrumble
Dabbler

Sync speed has dropped to 1536 kbps.  So IP Profile has been set to 1250 kbps.  Dont know what has caused the sync to drop from 2 mbps to 1.5 mbps.  Also my SN Margin has jumped up to 18 on the downstream, so that has probably caused it. 
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what I should do to lower my SN Margin?!?