cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Reset

Majority
Grafter

Line Reset

Hi. We  have had quite a few drops recently and I have noticed a really depressing speed drop. It would be great if you could reset the line just to see if it picks up again???
Thanks,
17 REPLIES 17
Majority
Grafter

Re: Line Reset

Hi, could I ask for a line reset please?
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The Plusnet support team are only on here on Monday-Friday and in working hours only. You should get a response from Joanne or one of her colleages tomorrow.
I hope that helps.
Majority
Grafter

Thank you,
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Majority,
There's no point in resetting the line without finding out what the cause of the issue is. Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
Majority
Grafter

Please just reset the line. We have had loads of line drops recently. Surely you do the most obvious before doing the most difficult and least likely?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

"reset" the line, as you put it, does not cure a fault.You say you have had loads of line drops recently - I presume you mean you have lost sync with the exchange, rather than just lost your "ppp" Internet session to Plusnet.
Having loads of line drops may be indicative of a line problem - even if your Target SNRM is reset, or if you are on ADSL2+, possible Banding removed, things will revert back to exactly where they are now if the cause of the drops is not dealt with.
When you have a dropping connection, the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management - something that Plusnet has no control over) adjusts you Broadband performance to try and stabilise your Broadband connection - this results in slower performance.
If you have a frequently dropping line, the chances are that you can hear crackling and other noises on the line when using the phone, for which there could be a number of reasons - please advise if you can hear noises.
Please provide some ADSL Line stats from your modem/router, the Current Line Speed from the Member Centre and the full results of a BT Speedtest (Diagnostic) as well as answer Jojo's questions.
With that information, it will be possible for someone to advise on the next best course of action.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Majority,
the reason we don't reset the line without any investigation is because if we reset it and it goes bad again we can't reset it again for another 10 days, even if you then find the problem. That can end up being more frustrating.
Jojo Smiley
Majority
Grafter

I know your only trying to help. Though, I had this exact problem a few months back and I got it resolved with a line reset.
A customer support operator sent me this message.
@Majority,
I can see that your connection has been up and down a fair bit over the last week. However it's been stable for the last day or so, hence I've submitted a line reset.
Give me a shout if you don't see any improvement after around 4 hours from now.

He reset the line and everything was back to normal. It worked perfectly. Just a thought???
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Majority,
As it's gone again, there's obviously something causing it. There's no use just masking the problem with another reset, I'm afraid.
Jojo Smiley
Majority
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    0.6 Mb
estimated line speed is around 3MB
Uptime: 1 day, 1:01:19
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 612 / 1,150
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 31.18 / 152.88
I can safely say there is no need to use the test socket.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just so that we have the facts clear, you only have the one socket then? Is the filter plugged directly into it, not via any extension leads? And the modem/router is plugged into the filter with it's original short lead?
What modem/router is it? Are those the only stats - no Noise Margin (SNRM) or Attenuation or Error figures?
Majority
Grafter

I have plugged the modem into the test socket. It took a while but I got a connection. The speed test is 0.56 MB.
We have more than one socket, all with filters which are plugged directly into the sockets. Currently where on the Thomson 585. Though it is bust, so I will be returning to the BT home hub 2.0 once things are cleared.
There are no other stats other than the ones provided. Nothing mentioning any errors. Unless there is another place to get the stats. That was all the information provided.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Majority
According to line diagnostics I've noticed that the sync speed and line rate are 1100kbps so I've updated the profile on our side. The SNR margin is currently 7.5db so I've performed an SNR reset to push that down to 6db to see if we can squeeze a bit more out of the connection for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Majority
Grafter

Thanks, it has improved slightly. 1.04MB's. Don't know if there is anything more that can be done? I usually get around 2.2MB's with the estimated speed being 3MB's