cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Reset please?

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Re: Line Reset please?

Just for info - BTW test attached.  I don't know whether a reset has been carried out or the exchange has kicked into action but as you can see I am gettin a faster download speed than ever now (until the next line fault) and it now says my max sync speed is 7.15, it was always 4 before?  Any thoughts? Still monitoring with RouterStats until engineer visit next Friday.  Cheers Mike
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Mike,
Well that is cheery news!  Cheesy
I have just looked back through the thread the goal posts have most certainly moved!  The report is not your synch speed but your data throughput speed.
talking of which, we've not seen your router stats yet, could you please post them on here?  This will show what your line is doing, give a pointer to what it ought to do and quite importantly what is the error rate.  Also from the synch rate, I'll be able to tell if your data speed is about right... or not!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Hi Kevin - router stats attached , let me know if you need any more graphs etc.  Thanks for the support!  Heaven knows whats going on!  Cheers Mike
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mike,
Thanks for trying - can I offer some suggestions...
1. Router stats, can you please try copying and pasting the stats from the router web page into the post.  From the screen grab, I can only see some of the stats.
2. Router Stats graphs.  The most interesting graph is the DS Noise graph.  You can right click on this and select over plot DS synch, that way one can see the most important / useful information in one place.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Uptime: 0 days, 0:33:29    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 928    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 62.66 / 1.26    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.3    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 48.5    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 29.6    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 9 / -    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -    Loss of Link (Remote): -    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,580 / -    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0    HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 generateTasks() 
As requested Kevin
But I can't find the DS noise graph - is it the noise margin graph - I've added that and as you can see something drastic has happened!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Mikejstephens
Uptime: 0 days, 0:33:29   
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1   
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 928
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 62.66 / 1.26   
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.3   
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 48.5   
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 29.6   
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----   
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN   
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 9 / -   
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Loss of Link (Remote): -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,580 / -   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0   
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 generateTasks() 
But I can't find the DS noise graph - is it the noise margin graph - I've added that and as you can see something drastic has happened!

@Mods I know re-quoting the whole of the previous post breaks the rules, but I thought I'd make it easy for everyone to read.
@Mike,
This did not happen when you altered the graphs - yes this is the right one - the event happened around 20:40 several posts back.  This is very interesting and is what we need to be looking out for.  Right now your DS synch is the pits and the SNRM is sky high.  The DS is nearly the same as the US.
Your line should be capable of doing around 5.5Mbps, which prior to 20:40 is about where it was.  At that time I suggest that there was a noise event which caused a loss of synch, followed by a resynch at a very low speed.  The Error seconds looks wrong too - it is 10 minutes more than the reported uptime.  You need to get control of your line so that it comes back to a usable state, without upsetting the DLM.
Until you get this bottomed out and resolved, it is important that YOU CONTROL as many of any router restarts as you can - this will avoid upsetting the DLM.
1. Log into the router
2. Go to the home page and click on disconnect
3. Wait for the button to change to CONNET
4. Wait a couple of minutes then power off the router
5. Have a cup off coffee
6. Power the router up
7. Log into the router and click CONNET
Then get the router stats and post them back here please.  If you could format them as above please that would be useful.

I think there is some evidence for REIN here, but I need to see a clearer picture first.

Kevin

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Kevin - All done as requested.  details attached
          Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:21   
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 4,608 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 282.34 / 1.24 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.3 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 49.5    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 5.3   
  Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / - 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / - 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 287,259   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1   
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 1 generateTasks() 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You appear to have been put on ADSL1, although ADSL2 might be more stable.
Also the 10.2 technicolor firmware contains a newer ADSL driver than the 8.4 firmware, so the 10.2 firmware might be more stable.
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Router software is 10.2.2B.  Why would I have been changed from ADSL1 to 2 - although speed does seem better!  This mornings stats attached.  Router has just disconnected - restarting now.

Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:15 
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 5,088 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 5.09 / 28.34    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.6 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 49.5   
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 6.0   
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / - 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / -    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 44 / -   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 302   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1   
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 4 generateTasks() 
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You haven't been changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2. ITU-T G.992.1 is ADSL1.
Had the router disconnected and reconnected at a very low speed just after 8am this morning? If not, you shouldn't really reboot the router (safe shutdown dance or not) after every disconnect - only if it has ended up connected at a very low speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mike,
These figures look better.  As ejs states unless the new synch speed is poor, do not reboot the router again.
4Mbps to 5Mbps is reasonable level from which to look into the underplaying problem.  Please keep the monitoring running, look to try to match shifts in SNRM to things being switched on / off.
I've reviewed thus thread from the start and note that you say the exchange is 21CN, yet you are on adsl(1) modulation.  Can you put your details in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - to confirm the availability of 21CN WCB.  If this is available, then you can ask PN to confirm you are on a 21CN service and consider an upgrade to adsl2.. Thanks ejs.
I know that you've said that your internal wiring has been eliminated, however can you please describe it?  How many extensions are there?  Are they daisy-chain wired or star wired?  Is the bell wire connected?  Can you confirm that either all extension phones are filtered or that the extension wiring is off a filtered nte5 face plate?

Kevin

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think we already know it's 21CN based on an IP profile of 4.66 in a speedtest result and the uncapped upstream. Of course there's no guarantee that ADSL2 will be better, it might be 200k faster, it might be 200k slower - but hopefully it will be better at remaining connected during short bursts of noise.
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Kevin - sorry for absence, but been away without any broadband or 3G.  My internal wiring setup is this:  Router directly off NTE5 faceplate and one extension from front socket. Both other extensions are daisy chained phones with an extra extension to SKY. The bell wire is not connected -  I have added filters to all the phones including the NTE5 faceplate phone since we've had all the problems but it doesn't seem to have any effect. . OpenReach engineers said it wouldn't do any harm but probably wasn't necessary.  I've attached todays figures from BTW speedtester and these are current routerstats.
The router hasn't been rebooted or used by me since last Sunday.
Uptime: 1 day, 0:08:54    
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 5,152    
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 14.43 / 87.37    
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.9    
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 50.0    
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 4.9    
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 123 / -    
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 17 / -    
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 66,149 / -    
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,700 / 9,376,999    
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,805 / 31,293    
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 440,373
generateTasks()  
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mike,
I wondered where this one had gone to.  can you please update me where you are on engineering visits please?  A fair few posts ago (17th) there was a reference to an engineer visit "on Friday" - was that last Friday or is it tomorrow?
If last week, what was done?
Your recent stats are much improved over your sub 1Mbps situation from last week.  The line is right on where it might be expected for the current attenuation, however I note it has been varying quite a bit between 48.5dB and 50dB.  The BT Profile is right on the nose for your current synch rate.  Do you know what the PN profile is?
The line error rates are quite high too.  As you still running router stats please?  Do you have an open fault ticket?

Kevin

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Fault ticket is on hold and engineer visit (number 15) is tomorrow.  Not sure what PN profile is but BT seems to have changed from 3.75 to 4.66 and the max line speed from 4 to 7.15Gb which was the max speed before the changeover to 21CN exchange earlier this year.  I don't think I'll get any better speeds than 3.5 to 4 and am happy if they'll just stay stable.  We'll see what tomorrow brings - the phone line is certainly not noisy at the moment so I doubt if they'll find anything. Cheers, Mike