cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Installation- New Cable Into House or Re-Activation Of Existing?

ddcook

Line Installation- New Cable Into House or Re-Activation Of Existing?

I've just bought a new flat and arranged for Plusnet to be installed for my broadband and phone. The previous owner had Virgin installed, which I am told means a new line needs to be fitted.
When they say new line fitted, does this mean the engineer will physically run a new line into the property, or re-activate an existing line? The reason I ask is that there seems to be 101 different broadband and phone lines running through the house to a variety of Telewest branded and unbranded phone sockets, it's not even clear if they are all on the same phone line circuit or some are Telewest and some old BT. I'd really like to tidy up some of these cables before my Plusnet activation as the flat is currently being painted and I'd rather not have to paint around the lines then install them later if I find them unnecessary as it will look very messy.
Specifically I want to know....
Can I cut out and remove all lines coming from the old Telewest entry point, from which there is a TV line I assume I don't need, and also looks like a phone line comes in from there but goes nowhere now, seems to be cut out.
There is also a very elderly phone line coming into the rear of the property, the cable actually looks like it is broken, can I remove this or leave it?
As I can't make sense of the current phone socket network, if I removed all phone points and cables, what would the engineer do? Would he run a new cable into my house then leave it up to me to create my own network of phone sockets and cables where I wanted, or would he help with this?
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line Installation- New Cable Into House or Re-Activation Of Existing?

Hi there,
The engineer will need to attend the premises, he'll likely fit a new drop wire (if there's not one there already) and master socket (same), or confirm the ones that are there. You should be fine to remove any/all of the Virgin Media wiring as that won't be connected.
Aside from that though, the engineer's responsibility is to fit a master socket - any extension wiring will be charged for and likely we'd have to book a separate chargeable appointment for that if you do want it doing (assuming there aren't already BT extension sockets there, if there are I believe you'll be fine to have those hooked into the master socket as long as the wires already reach the point it's installed/will be installed to).
Hope that answers your questions.
ddcook

Re: Line Installation- New Cable Into House or Re-Activation Of Existing?

It does, thanks.
I just need to work out how the current sockets and circuits work together so I know what might be removed!