cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Disconnects?

furrymunkey
Grafter

Line Disconnects?

Is there a way to monitor my line as it seems to be dropping quite a bit. I haven't changed any of my equipment apart from trying a new router and changing the filters, which has made no difference. I am not losing internet as such, but it seems to be dropping constantly to the point of disconnecting.
I was hoping it maybe had something to do with my local exchange changing over to 21CN sometime this month?
8 REPLIES 8
furrymunkey
Grafter

Re: Line Disconnects?

Is that a NO then?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi furrymunkey,
Is it a wireless or wired connection? Not sure what you mean by dropping if you're not losing the internet.
Jojo Smiley
furrymunkey
Grafter

Hi Jojo
It's a wired connection. I notice that my downloads almost completely zero out then come back up to speed again, and also web pages such as ebay and the dreaded facebook seem to hang as though there's no connection then they are fine again. I even did a complete fresh install of windows 7 to iron out and problems but it's the same. My connection just seems to slow right down then pick up again. Although I haven't had an email about 21cn changeover, I noted on the plusnet website that it will be active here between 13th - 31st March. That's why I wondered if that would have anything to do with it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you have another machine, as it may be that your computer is busy doing things casing it to hang. Smiley
furrymunkey
Grafter

Fresh install of windows xp on my laptop, HP Pavilion DV9700... dual core CPU and 2g ram. Nothing installed since fresh install, used wirelessly.....speeds still drop.
Main computer... Aspire quad core CPU, 4g ram, fresh install of windows 7, nothing else added or installed, hard wired by ethernet cable....speeds still drop.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi furrymunkey,
Quote from: furrymunkey
I notice that my downloads almost completely zero out then come back up to speed again

What is it you're downloading and where from?
Also, thanks for doing all the checks. What speeds are dropping. Can you show speed tests when it's good and when it's bad?
Jojo Smiley
furrymunkey
Grafter

Weird thing is the speed tests are constantly good. I have been on utorrent watching the speeds drop, which u might say peer to peer is inconsistent, yet it was d/l at at steady 700 then drop right down to maybe 24 then suddenly shoot back up again. It also disconnects my msn from time to time and web pages seem to hang as if they are waiting for a connection.
Other point I want to bring up is 21CN. Going by the plusnet website, the exchange here is due upgraded between 14th - 31st March. Samknows says 21CN WBC status:is enabled.
When will I know if or when Im getting my connection upgraded?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI furrymunkey,
When you're downloading torrents, speeds can often fluctuate dramatically depending on the sources. Also, it's possible that your upload is getting saturated while you're running these which could cause problems with the likes of MSN and web pages. If you disable your torrent client are you still getting the issues?
As for 21CN it looks like it's now available. Would you like me to place the order?
Jojo Smiley