cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Attenuation?

grexy
Dabbler

Line Attenuation?

Is there any reason my Line Attenuation would jump from 55db down to 20 or 21db?
I've posted elsewhere about sync problems, but I've just noticed that when unplugging and re-setting the router back up that the attenution has gone down to 21db and my sync is up at 8096kbps!
24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Line Attenuation?

BT moved the exchange closer to your house  Roll_eyes  Cheesy
Just count yourself lucky if it holds at that I guess...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Have you made any wiring changes?
It might be an idea to try rebooting your router and see if it continues to hold.  It does sound rather strange though Smiley
I've seen a reporting bug in the past where a very low attenuation figure has been reported, but the sync speed didn't change.
zubel
Community Veteran

Echoing previous comments - have you made any wiring changes recently?
Incorrectly connected extension wiring could potentially alter your attenuation figures (in an upwards direction!)  If you've recently 'fixed' something then this could be the cause.
B.
geewizz
Grafter

Presumably the benefits of some work on the line or exchange by BT would also show up as an improvement in attenuation figures too?
grexy
Dabbler

up until a few days ago my attenuation was low, the I've been having the sync problems.
I haven't changed any wiring, or anything, up until last night when I have removed the face plate from the master socket, and plugged the filter into the service socket and then just the router into that and only the router.
It didn't make any difference last night, I was still only syncing at 1000kbps or less and having drops every now and then.
I then this morning swapped the filter and got the low attenuation, and sync at 8000kbps+
This has held for 30 mins with no use of the internet, me just sat here watching TV. I have now come to check for replys and routerstats shows 3 drops and sync back at 832kbps and attenuation at 55db????
any ideas?
grexy
Dabbler

just to add, I have tryed 3 different filters, but have got a little noise in the background while on the phone (but only with the router plugged in, otherwise it's silent)
is it likely that a faulty filter or filters could be cause a high attenuation?
James
Grafter

Hi Grexy,
Have you tried using the test socket, which you can find if you unscrew the faceplate from your master socket.  Using this eliminates your internal wiring which can be the cause of a fault.
grexy
Dabbler

sorry thats what I ment by the service socket, I've had the filter/router plugged into that socket last night and this morning, it doesn't seem to make any differnece
James
Grafter

Right, thanks.
Is there any chance that you could borrow a modem or a router from a friend and see if your connection holds?
If it doesn't, then you'll need to raise a fault by going to http://faults.plus.net
It shouldn't be the filter as you've tried 3 of them.
grexy
Dabbler

borrowed a router and also modem, both just the same. I'll raise a ticket.
could it be a BT line problem?
James
Grafter

It could be, yes.
grexy
Dabbler

ok think I have solved my problem. I had a look at the line coming into the house and found that the plastic cover was loose and all the multicore wire had been getting all sorts of wet weather on it and a bit of a wiggle and one of the wires snapped! so I reconnected everthing up and my stats are:
                  Connection Speed
                  8128 kbps down
                  448 kbps up
                  Line Attenuation
                  20.0 db down
                  12.5 db up
                  Noise Margin
                  15.5 db down
                  22.0 db up
only problem now is this has been steady for most of the day, yet my profile is still down at 250K! any idea how long it will take to come back up? or if anyone can move it back up quicker?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It'll come back up after around 3 days of syncing higher, unfortunately we can't change it any quicker from here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grexy
Dabbler

it would have to come down in a few hours and then take a few days to come back up! oh well