cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits on sending emails

animal

Limits on sending emails

Can anyone tell me the limit that plusnet puts on sending emails? e.g. max per hour.
If I remember correctly there is also a tarpit limit which slows the sending of emails above a certain amount.
I want to set up a low volume mailing list run from my desktop and I want to set some realistic limits so I don't get jumped on, but I cannot find the limits anywhere on the portal page.
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: Limits on sending emails

Hiya,
There's currently no limits on the number of emails that you're allowed to send per hour.
Can I ask how many emails that you are looking to send?  Would something like a blog for your readers to follow via RSS possibly be more applicable (and easier for you!)?
animal

Thanks James,
It's a closed group, so a blog is not appropriate.
I do not envisage the group exceeding 100 and if it does, then we will have to look at some other solution. Emails to the group are likely to be once per month or perhaps as much as once per week, but unlikely to exceed any of these limits.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

itsme
Grafter

By the sound of it you are not going to use a bulk email services so I assume that you will setup a group within your address book which could leave all the emails addresses in public view within the group. Which some may not be happy with. An alternative is to use PN Circular https://portal.plus.net/office.html?action=mycircular&?membermenu=mycircular
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

\pleads ignorance  Embarrassed
What is the advantage of the mycircular option
Have Plusnet stopped tar-pitting emails
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: itsme
By the sound of it you are not going to use a bulk email services so I assume that you will setup a group within your address book which could leave all the emails addresses in public view within the group. Which some may not be happy with. An alternative is to use PN Circular https://portal.plus.net/office.html?action=mycircular&?membermenu=mycircular
BCC - essential for such a group
itsme
Grafter

Warning from Wikipedia on Blind Carbon copies.
Warning: The hiding of the Bcc: addresses from other Bcc: addresses is not required by RFC 2822 and so you should never assume the Bcc: addresses will be hidden from other Bcc: addresses.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I never rely on Wikipedia for an authoritative statement.
What I can say from experience is the Bcc emails sent using Outlook Express and Outlook fully hide the Bcc addresses.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Jim, While OE and Outlook might send them out correctly, hiding the recipients is done by the receiving email server - and you have no control over that, so the warning is fair comment.
The only totally safe way is to use software which sends an individual email to each client - I believe that is what MyCircular does.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

John,
Am I understanding you correctly - it is nothing to do with the email program you are using to send or receive but with the receiving server (i.e. mail.plus.net) and how it handles them
Also part of my original post - have Plusnet stopped tar-pitting bulk emails
csogilvie
Grafter

Probably partly to do with both the client and the server...
I would imagine if there's an email BCCed, then the client will just send extra rcpt to: <address> commands to the server. However, if it then sends BCC: in the actual header section:
To: Colin Ogilvie <colin@myHomeComputerIPHostname>
Bcc: Colin Ogilvie <me@myYahooAccount.co.uk>
Subject: Testing BCC

it would be up to the server to strip that I guess...
although I'm not sure if that's really relevant to the subject at hand!
itsme
Grafter

Yes, but probably only for the mailboxes it's responsible for. Perhaps @jelv can verify but I believe what happens is one email is sent to each of the domains in the bcc list. So if you have mail1@domain1, mail2@domain1, mail3@domain1, mail4@domain2 and mail5@domain2 only two emails will be sent. 1 to domain1 and 1 to domain 2. So the receiving server will only see the recipients it's responsible for but not the others from different domains.
ctech500
Grafter

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to add that the warning in wiki could be right because some email clients do not have BCC as an option (ie Apple's mail)
just a thought.
Be3G
Grafter

A little OT but Apple Mail does have the facility - there's a little drop down menu from which you can add extra fields such as BCC.