cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited or no connectivity

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Limited or no connectivity

Had a crash on my system re booted itself for no apparent reason  but now internet says This connection has limited or no connectivity cannot access anything.The IP address or anything have re booted router but to no avail
Connected with ethernet cable which i have checked is not the router as wireless works fine on laptop and other comp that is how i can post this meassage.
Comp in question is using a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E And is working fine according to computer cannot seem to set up again from scrach any help would be greatly appreciated. Mny Thanks Mike
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Limited or no connectivity

Mike,
Can you ping your router from that computer?
If not, I'd look at replacing the ethernet cable first and potentially the network card (after reinstalling the network card drivers).
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Pinging with 32 bytes of data
destination host unreachable
Ping stats  packets Sent 4 Received 0 Lost = 4 (100% Loss )
So its my cable or card then.... card and cable only 6 months old ?Huh
i downloaded new drivers which hasnt made any difference except it has now changed the name to Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller is that the same or
have i downloaded the wrong drivers ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Fantasticfourum,
The first thing I would do is try plugging a laptop in with the ethernet cable. If that works, then you know it's the network card. If it doesn't, then I would plug the cable into a different port on the router (if there are any extra ones) and reseat the cable into the network card. If that's no good then power down the router and computer and if still no good then try, if possible a different cable. Once you've exhausted those options then I would look at maybe trying another router.
Jojo Smiley
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I have now discovered what has happened i loaded Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 this downloads the game via something called steam and you can only play this game via the internet presume its a new way of trying to beat piracy anyway this crashed which lost me the internet by hook or by crook re loading drivers several times the net started again so not realising it was the game i played the game again and hey presto my computer shut down again and no internet again managed to get the internet back although have lost my 2 little connection monitors in the tray but the Game is the culpret although seems odd that when it crashes it does something to my internet drivers, game wasnt cheap so i will be taking it back (it was an excellent game though ) Thanks for the help to date but it was the drivers although for some reason had to install the drivers several times before they worked.