Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited Access

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Limited Access

Last week, I "initiated" my missus new laptop, to the wireless router, and it connects every time she boots up... My laptop, used to do the same.    hers is usually in the front room and mine is in the bedroom.... (about 3 feet [1metre]  from the router)....
often, my laptop connects when I boot up, but quite often, in the morning, or after a long period switched off during the day, it only gets "limited access", and I have to re-boot the router before I can get a full internet connection...
as far as I can tell, her new laptop does not have any problems with connecting.. 
any ideas, Please?
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Limited Access

Is your laptop running Vista by any chance?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry,.... Yes... I am on VIsta Home premium.... and she is on W7...
Both Dell machines,  (18 months between them so different models)
and  Thomson TG858 v8 router. (wireless)
keeps54
Grafter

From other threads three things to try, I think any of them would solve the problem but have yet to try the first two:
1) Upgrade the firmware on the router to 8.2.7.8 - http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
2) Registry change on Vista machine- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
3) Make a change to the wireless settings on the router such as SSID
Cheers
Paul
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as its an long time used Router and laptop not likely to be any of those
is there a  wall in between you and the router,  and was it there before, i.e. have you been booted into a different room?
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, I bit the bullet, and did the "firmware" update.... seemed to work ok, after I unplugged the cable, on wireless... did a re-boot of the laptop, and it could not find the router (even though it was only a couple of feet away)... ... so back in with the cable, and into the router pages.... re-named the network, (it went back to default PlusNet name) and then did the password etc.... re-booted the laptop, and no network could be found... tried several different ways to resolve it using the diagnostics.... (missus laptop on W7, in front room, found the network after re-naming back to my original name) got really frustrated , even booted into Linux Mint 9 , to see if it could find it....but nothing.... even  < inSSIDer > could not find ANY wireless networks, (and normally there are about 6 or 7 locally)... so instead of doing a "proper" power down and re-boot,. .... I just pressed the ON/Off button and shut down the laptop.... On re-booting, got the usual "windows did not shut down properly" options, with "start windows normally"... and it did....  Found the router, connected wirelessly , and everything seems to be working ok ... however.... we shall have to see what happens in the morning, when the laptop has had a good nights sleep !..
pierre_pierre
Grafter

SWMBO XP netbook keeps on doing that, dont know why, but, right click on the WiFi icon on status bar and repair cures it til the next time
shutter
Community Veteran

Update......
24 hours later, and every time I boot up... I connect to the net....
so it seems the "firmware upgrade" has done the trick....
Thanks fellas!
Wink