cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit reached - now being punished!

rneilg
Grafter

Limit reached - now being punished!

Hi, I have hit my 20gb download and have set my account to not top up. For the last 2 days my connection has been so slow we have given up until my allowance resets!
What speed are my now limited to? whatever it is it is far to slooooow  Cry
Thanks for any help.
Neil.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Limit reached - now being punished!

Which product are you on as I believe that the throttling is different on the latest products.
On Value and Extra you are restricted to about this
rneilg
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply - I am on Plusnet Pro.
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 21:01 282 kbps (35.3kB/s) 282 kbps (35.3kB/s)
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/130836661.png
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is about right.
Have you considered switching to Extra with the Pro addon
If your exchange is Market 2 or 3 it will be the same price or cheaper with  60GB allowance and on a Market 1 exchange it will be the same price
rneilg
Grafter

Thank you very much for the advice, gone from £16 a month to £12 a month and have 3 times the download.
What is the difference between Pro and extra? what have I lost?
Thanks
Neil. Cheesy
Found the answer myself - Pro gives me the extras like less packet shaping, usenet etc.
WWWombat
Grafter

The legacy "Pro" package gave you the benefit of no traffic management, but limited to 20GB. For market 3 exchanges, this used to be £16.49 pm
The current bare "Extra" package has the increased limit of 60GB, but restores the traffic management features. For market 3, this is £11.49
Plusnet have done away with the concept of a "Pro" package (ie a package dedicated to having no traffic management). They have instead introduced a " Pro add-on" that can be added to any of their other packages for the cost of £5 pm.
If you want to restore the "zero traffic management", you can take your new "Extra" package and add the "Pro Add-on" to combine the 60GB allowance with zero traffic management. On market 3 exchanges, that would total £16.49 again.
Take a look at this page: http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
You can compare the products as "Legacy: Plusnet Pro", "Plusnet Extra" and "Plusnet Extra Pro"
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You will need to add the Pro option after the change happens at your next billing date to get the same traffic shaping you have at present. Whether you need that depends on your surfing habits.
You can compare the products here http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
You have actually gone from £16.49 to £11.49 and if you decide to add the Pro bit for £5 that will take it back to your  original price
The Pro addon will happen almost immediately after requesting it and can be removed after a month and then added back if you want as it is very flexible http://www.plus.net/addons/pro/
EDIT - as he said but he types quicker than me  Embarrassed
Spider
Grafter

This is an option I was considering myself, but the one thing I am not clear about and couldn't find on the Pro Add-on page is about the upload speed. On the old Pro products your uploaded speed doubled from the standard offering. With the new Pro Add-on I'm not sure if this is still the case, but something to be aware off when making your decision to change.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on 21cn adsl2 you can get double uplaod just by asking, on 20cn double upload will cost you
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The old Pro package did not double your upload speed, it just removed traffic management. That is the package I am on.
If you were/are on the the old 20CN (ADSL1) network you needed to pay extra to increase your upload speed from 448Kbs to 832Kbs (subject to line conditions), regardless of the product you were on. This is still the case with the new Pro add-on.
If you were/are on the 21CN (ADSL2/2+) network they unlocking the upload speed is possible and free, again regardless of product.
Anyone being moved by Plusnet from 20CN to 21CN (which is happening in groups) normally retain their existing upload speed. So people on the default upload of 448Kbs would remain on that and need to ask for the upload to be uncapped. If you were paying for the increased upload speed this charge should be removed and you should be moved from 20CN to 21CN with your upload unlocked.
Spider
Grafter

Thanks Peter for clarifying that. I'm on BBYW Pro Max Premium and forgot about the latter part being a separate option as I have been on it since 2007. Reminder to self to jog memory more before replying to posts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your Max Premium will automatically continue after your switch to Extra unless you cancel it (at an additional cost of £7.83).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)