cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let me loose.

Razer
Grafter

Let me loose.

Could someone please have any restrictions on my line removed (this would naturally include SN margin).
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Let me loose.

Hi,
I think one would need to look at the characteristics of your current situation first.  If there is an uncorrected fault on your line / equipment, then attempting a line reset (if ADSL) is only likely to end up with you coming back here to report that its "broken" again.
So can you please provide some details of your issue as indicated under the slow speed issues thread at the top of this forum.
It might be the case that you've had a line (or equipment) issue which now rectified has fixed your synch speed, but data transfer is still slow - this is normally sorted without intervention by the automatic profile update process.  If this is a synch speed issue, then a more detailed look is required.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

There aren't any restrictions on your service.
No banding or incorrect speed profiles.
Razer
Grafter

Hi Chris.
I refer you back to your reply in my last thread about my speed. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127449.msg1108323.html#msg1108323 You may also read the whole thread (up to you) in context with what I was and am talking about (Bob Pullen confined it to 6dB, which IS a restriction).
As a matter of interest I have since that time (previous linked thread) lost yet more speed. I now generally get 14-15Mb download, so slipping even further down from an original lower end 23Mbps. Upload often when I check hovers at around 768kb. I therefor want to see how things run without the restrictions which are seemingly very slowly destroying my speeds.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi Razer,
The 6dB SNRM is not a restriction as you suggest, rather a standard value for the signal level above background noise required to deliver a STABLE service.
The fact that your synch speed has decreased so markedly from what it was and what your line should deliver is (as I've said before) indicative of some issue on your line, with your equipment or internal wiring.
Have you followed the speed issues troubleshooter?
Is the line quiet? Dial 17070 option 2.
Are you plugged into the master socket?  Do you get a better synch speed from the test socket?
Have you tried changing the filter?
Have you raised a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net
As Chris suggested, your target SNRM could be moved to 3dB, but a line with your attenuation (if your modem is reporting it correctly) should deliver 21Mbps @6dB - you do not need to go as low as 3dB with all of the associated instability risks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Razer
Grafter

Hi Townman,
I appreciate you trying to help, I really do, but as I've stated several times on this forum (though you personally may not have seen it), nothing has changed in my set-up and I've been through the whole song and dance routine of plug this there, test that, change that wire, this, that and the other ... oh, and five routers from PN. No, sorry, six. I am no longer prepared to do any more dancing (and haven't been for a long time). I was never experiencing any problem with my connection speeds, nor any problem generally, until I started to play an online game so many months ago, which, in concert with so many PN gamers, I found was extremely problematic. At the same time I also experienced upload problems with actual uploads to YouTube and on the upload part of speed tests.
After all the song and dance I was taken through, nothing changed (except occasionally YT uploads would work). It was noted that I had a lot of hec errors and such like. I always synched at 3dB. Due to these errors, Bob Pullen (who was very patient and extensive with me via PM) could only try the last thing which was to fix my line at 6dB - i.e. an active preventing of the line from synching at 3dB. In other words, a restriction. Naturally I lost some sync speed and I had to swallow that in order to see how things went. It didn't make a jot of difference to my gaming of course (aside from that I haven't gamed since, so many months ago). So I just coasted along with the reduction. I have noticed, however, that the sync speed has been gradually slipping to what it is now and I'm told 'oh no, there is no restriction' which IS bull because of what I've already said.
Because it's been so long since the restriction was put in place I was intrigued to see how my line would perform with it removed, that is, being allowed, as it always naturally did, to sync at 3dB. To see if I could come to sync nearer my original sync speed and compare any possible increased HEC etc. errors.
Anyway, I'm ranting because I'm just fed up with PN. I was trying to be patient and give PN some time, but yet again they just largely ignore. Just about every thread I've posted for tech help here I have constantly had to bump and press for the correct attention from PN staff (with the exception of when it comes to the wonderful tech heads here who always go to great efforts to help others). It's ok, they can continue to ignore posts to the level they always did, leaving it to members like you and Anotherone when it's not up to you.  I no longer keep jabbing and bumping threads to get proper attention to a problem. I've been biding my time and very soon will be taking my business elsewhere. It's that kind of slap which is the only thing that PN WILL pay attention to (both in answer to their inadequacies and their greed).
Thank you once again for trying to help.
wo0x
Grafter

There were a load of errors on the line when I started gaming so many months ago. They're still there now, even when I'm not gaming:
Uptime:  4 days, 3:56:29
DSL Type:  ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  1.167 / 19.251
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:  166,75 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12,0 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  8,3 / 16,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  6,3 / 5,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):  TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):  BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):  -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  433 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):  18 / 503
HEC Errors (Up/Down):  13 / 1.550

That's not a lot of errors.
I don't see the problem here... The SNR was pinned to 6dB, Razer wants it unpinned in the hope DLM will give him back a 3dB target SNR.