cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving the router on 24/7

JohnCT
Grafter

Leaving the router on 24/7

Since joining Plusnet a few weeks ago I have followed their recommendation of leaving the router switched on at all times. However my speed is the same as with my previous supplier when I switched off when not in use, meaning it was off about 16 out of 24 hours. Is there some reason why routers connected to Plusnet need to be kept on? Seems I could save a bit of electricity by resuming my old practice.
6 REPLIES 6
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Leaving the router on 24/7

Can't find the actual power consumption for the current TG582n router, but the TG585v7 is given as 5W in normal/idle mode, and I don't suppose the 582 is significantly different.
That equates to (5 X 24 X 365)/1000 = 43.8 kilowatt hours per year, which, depending on your tariff will be costing you around £7 per year.
From what I've hopefully picked up correctly on here and elsewhere, switching off every day may or may not cause problems, but to save 2/3rds of £7 per year it doesn't really seem worth the risk to me.
JohnCT
Grafter

Many thanks JayG, great to know there is a mathematician amongst us!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

JohnCT, whether it's desirable to leave yours on or not depends very much on your connection - how close to the exchange you are, and how good the actual connection is and it suffers from any interference.
If you post the TG582n Full DSL stats. (just copy and paste them into a post) that will give a better idea.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

also if you were on LLU before (TalkTalk or Sky) it works differently as they don't suffer from the BT DLM (Dynamic Line Management)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jim,
"Suffer from..." You make the DLM sound like a malady!  Cheesy
It is clearly different to the way the LLU providers do things, but I'm sure they suffer their own issues as they too need to need to manage line stability one way or another.  I seem to recall that when PN used LLU offerings there were no end of complaints over how bad the service was, leading to the cessation of that provisioning route.
The grass is rarely ever greener elsewhere... especially when the same 'final mile' is still part of the journey.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kanda
Grafter

Don't know how long it took me to spot this, but if you want to want to turn off wifi by itself at night the illuminated wifi indicator on the TG582n is actually a button/switch Smiley I'd imagine it will have a small effect on electrical consumption. Always used to turn off my router with my old ISP so I know what you're going through, these habits are hard to break Wink