cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving router on to improve speed?

Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Re: Leaving router on to improve speed?

I don't have access to another modem/router unfortunately Anotherone, I have had the router around 18 months now a D-Link 2640B, bought with the Broadband package from PN about same time as I bought my new HP PC as well. I have been told that D-Link are quite reliable. All indications are an external fault rather than router, I went through all the tests etc with PN on the phone different filter etc still the same though, but I do know what you mean about being stung for a charge if it did turn out to be the router, although the original problem PN said was intermittent connection which showed up on PN records last week, and so far the line has been ok whilst being monitored by PN.
Oh well can't do much else Anotherone but keep my fingers crossed it isn't the router, I guess it is always advisable to have another basic router around just in case something like this happens. Do you know if PC World have D-Link gear only last time I looked it was Netgear Linksys and Belkin etc, couldn't see D-Link. I have seen advertised elsewhere the D-Link DSL-2740R which seems to be ok in the reviews. Not likely to use wireless side of things as I prefer ethernet cable.
Thanks again Anotherone
Tom  Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Re:Leaving router on to improve speed?

Tom,
Hopefully the engineer will sort things tomorrow. Smiley
If you want a router for a spare you can usually pick one up from Amazon/ebay/ebuyer around the £10 mark.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Thanks Mand,
Frustrating this speed loss thing, wish it was something really obvious but it's not, bit like have a car and its engine is only firing on one cylinder, you don't get very far.
I don't work with any kind of computer/electronic equipment, I work for myself as Plasterer/Decorator, so you can see not much call for knowledge of Sync speeds and DLMs etc..  Grin I pick up things as I go along, might take a bit of time to get my head around the idea of some things but I get there in the end, know my way around a PC fairly well now, but never really looked into things that are linked to how you get the internet down the cables  Smiley
I shall have a look around on Amazon and ebay etc.. see what turns up regarding a standby router.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Bought a new Belkin G Wireless Modem/Router, model F5D7634-4 v2, connected it up, connection successful but same problem still exists, but at least I know it is now not a modem/router problem. All points to fault outside these premises. My side all the cables/connections are fine, filter is fine, no noise on the line, what downstream speed I do have is steady, no disconnections. As normal for me not using the wireless option, only ethernet cable connection from PC to Modem/Router.
BT engineer due later today between 1pm and 6pm, hopefully they will finally sort it out their end.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

BT engineer checked line from these premises, NO line fault, NO equipment fault NO cable fault NO Modem fault nothing here to cause any kind of problem, for some reason IP Profile was not raised up from the IP Profile of a mere 500Kbps  Roll_eyes even though line IS steady as it has been now for over a week. With the only disconnections by me to check the filter, and change to a new Modem/Router. Engineer questioned why the IP is 500Kbps if the line is fine, if all seems ok then the IP Profile needs to be higher than the ridiculous 500Kbps.
He has requested for it to be raised now. He did all the diagnostic tests and Sync speed was measured at 1.7Mbps so shouldn't the downstream speed be around 1.2Mbps PN  Shocked Huh as my old speed was.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Leaving router on to improve speed?

Hi again,
Looking at the reports we get it's now showing a profile of 1500 for your line, this matches on our side now so fingers crossed we're back to where you should be.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Yes, thank you Chris and PN, speed is back up to what it should be for my connection, as you say fingers crossed it stays ok  Smiley
deva

Hi, read your saga with interest as I am in a similar situation (sudden deterioration, intermittent fault on line guv).
If I understand correctly all that was really required was a BT person to ask another BT person to fix  a stuck IP profile, and that took 8 days.
Hmmm. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm afraid you did misunderstand, that wasn't what happened, and this may still be ongoing.
If you care to start your own thread and post some detail of your problem and some stats, I expect we can offer some help.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

During the night doesn't look bad.
On late last night, the spike at 2340 - something switching on or off.
The one at 2348, something coming on and running for a minute or two.
Not so keen on today's SNRM level, otherwise graph OK. What's the current sync speed?
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Same Sync as last night, holding steady, 2752Kbps current SNR Margin 4.5dB, no timers/switching set for registered line spike time. Very bad weather currently almost thunder/lightning but non so far just heavy heavy rain, maybe high static conditions.
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Noise graph rise SNR, current Sync 2752Kbps SNR Margin 6dB
Tom2notwireless
Grafter