Did you mean: 

Leave router on for 10 days ?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Leave router on for 10 days ?

Hi all
First post here Smiley
I'd like to know if you're supposed to leave the router on for the first 10 days (for the line to settle). Or wouldn't it make any difference if you switched it off during the night ?
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Leave router on for 10 days ?

I personally keep mine on 24/7 don't want to risk speed drops (because I'm sad like that lol) out of interest why do you want to turn it off at night
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Quote from: thomasjc1
I personally keep mine on 24/7 don't want to risk speed drops (because I'm sad like that lol) out of interest why do you want to turn it off at night

To be honest, I don't feel too comfortable in leaving it on whilst I'm asleep. Worst case scenario: what if it overheats and things start to catch fire ?
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Routers are designed to be left on permanently without overheating and use little power. If you want to get the best performance out of your line then you need to keep the router on 24/7 and this is especially important in the first 10 days after activation.
bradw
Grafter

Quote from: Cagney1994
To be honest, I don't feel too comfortable in leaving it on whilst I'm asleep. Worst case scenario: what if it overheats and things start to catch fire ?

Same could be said of many things: landline phone, mobiles charging, alarm clocks, fridges, etc.. Can you really say you live without any electricity while sleeping?
Summary: It won't catch fire, millions of routers/modems are left on 24/7 and I've never heard of one catching fire.
valart
Grafter

I am going away for two weeks if I turn off my router for that time will I have problems when I switch it back on,I do not like leaving it on for that period of time when I feel my router it is quite warm it as always been that way from the start I suppose it will not catch fire if I left it on while I am away.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Ok; thanks guys.
But when I was with 02 (for a couple of years), I always used to switch their router off before sleep and then back on again the following day. I found no problems with the connection.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: valart
I am going away for two weeks if I turn off my router for that time will I have problems when I switch it back on,

If you disconnect from Plusnet (using the router's web interface), wait 30 seconds for things to settle then turn off the router until you return it should be OK.
When you return switch the router on again (preferably during daylight hours when noise levels are lower). After syncing with the exchange, and a short pause the router will probably go on to reconnect to Plusnet, but if it doesn't reconnecting using the web interface should work.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I doubt that switching your router off at night will usually cause any problems, even if you don't follow spraxyt's ideal procedure. Just don't change your mind afterwards.  But it is probably best avoided during the initial 10 day training period when things are particularly sensitive.
I believe you should switch your router off during thunderstorms and so should definitely leave it off when you are on holiday.  The whole point is to avoid frequent disconnections which the equipment in the telephone exchange may perceive as instability on the line.