cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave Fibre Modem On Always Critical Or Not

jje
Dabbler

Leave Fibre Modem On Always Critical Or Not

For many reasons heat  fire risk lights etc i am not very happy leaving the fibre router powered on permanently.
With ADSL modem it was happy to be turned off at night once the ten day training was finished  .Continual turning off without a long time gap between was the only use that would change the line speed .
jje
10 REPLIES 10
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Leave Fibre Modem On Always Critical Or Not

Risk of Fire?
It isn't an old valve tv you know...  Roll_eyes
Leave it on or you run the risk of interleaving which you don't want!
jje
Dabbler

Well risk of fire is pretty remote i admit with such a small unit . But the Chief Fire Officer drilled into me switch off rather than leave on electrical equipment .
jje
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There should be no problems with leaving the modem switched on as equipment of this type is usually designed with this in mind.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jje
Dabbler

I would still like to switch off at night saves all the multiple lights shining in my bedroom  .
Saves the extra heat pumped out  . Box now reads 44c on top .
Does turning the modem off at night for twelve hours really drop my line speed .
Never a problem with modem off all night on ADSL .
jje
jslane
Grafter

I haven't heard of a modem or router going on fire before...  Undecided The fire safety guys that visit every year never complain about my equipment. I have 2 routers, a switch and a home server powered up 24/7. All of which give off very little heat and use very little power. They do say to turn off the TV, microwave, cooker etc off at the wall but never mentioned the IT equipment.
At the end of the day it's up to you  Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Box now reads 44c on top .
The modems tend to run cooler when mounted vertically on a wall.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Finguz
Grafter

You can turn it off without any worry of losing speed.
As long as it is off for more than a few seconds/minutes at a time, the DLM will not assume the disconnection was caused by a fault.
Having said that, mine is on 24/7 unless we are away for more than a day at a time.
picbits
Rising Star

If the lights bother you, pop a bit of masking tape on top (if you still want to see them) or PVC electrical tape (if you don't want to see them)
Power consumption is minimal at around 10w or less so will not contribute too much to heating your house or wasting your electricity - by turning it all off at night for 12 hours you'll save less than a fiver a year monetary wise.
jje
Dabbler

Quote from: Finguz
You can turn it off without any worry of losing speed.
As long as it is off for more than a few seconds/minutes at a time, the DLM will not assume the disconnection was caused by a fault.
Having said that, mine is on 24/7 unless we are away for more than a day at a time.

Thanks that's the reply i was looking for same as my ADSL router  . On off on off can reset but long power off never does reset.
  jje
Keystroke
Dabbler

Talking of fire risk my last Isp provided me with a netgear router that not only ran hot but melted before my eyes and cased smoke to start spewing from it. I imagine this was a very isolated case but it did happen. Best part was it still works and when it melted it was completely safe and cool on my telephone table nothing on or near it.