cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Mac OS X updates and loss of internet connection

smo

Latest Mac OS X updates and loss of internet connection

Howdy doody,
Could a standard software update for my macbook be responsible for my sudden lack of internet connection? I can still connect wirelessly to the modem but can't connect to my provider.
There's no reported service outage so I'm at a loss as to why I've suddenly lost all connection.  Angry Cry
As I'm not an IT techie any clues on how to carry out the broadband checks without a connection?
Ta
5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: Latest Mac OS X updates and loss of internet connection

You dont give us much of a clue of what the update was and how and who you connect to.
Yes a update could screw things up depending on what it was(this may give a clue).
Its most likely it has reset network setting or something back to default and it just needs setting up again.
I would work on the principle of trying to set the connection up from scratch as per ISP instructions. I assume you mean you connect to a router by wireless not a modem in which case its will be down to the network setting either the WAP/WEP key want setting up again or its not picking up the ip address correctly as its not getting the default gateway which should be the ip address of the router.
Without any details thats the best we can do
janitor
Grafter

Can't really help much but assume your talking about the 10.5.3 update, all my macs have had it and none of them have lost net access.
scootie
Grafter

what router do u have. have u loged in to the setup page of your router and looked to see if the router has a connection to the net.
SpineyM

smo - this post has been up a while but I have just experienced the same issue. Updated to OSX 10.4.11 and my MacBook will not connect to the internet wirelessly. I get a connection to the modem router, IP assigned OK through DHCP - I open a browser (Safari or Firefox) and the urls will not load and I get error message about not being connected to the server!! Did you solve he problem, if so let me know. Any other advice welcome.
CharlieZ

Any luck? Mine is more of a random problem. Running 10.5.3 it works some of the time and then all of a sudden I get the problem you describe. It is very frustrating.