cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency, packet loss, and ping problems in Rocket League

carlos777uk

Latency, packet loss, and ping problems in Rocket League

As the title says; i found a thread from a couple of years ago where the customer as given a static IP.  Would this help here?  I've tried almost all of the fixes I know of including:

Clean install of Windows (it was due anyway), PC is on Ethernet (not WLAN), master socket used, reset of Hub, not during busy times (any time of day really).

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
Lysen
Grafter

Re: Latency, packet loss, and ping problems in Rocket League

Try pinging your router when you next play.

Open command prompt (Windows key, type cmd).

In the black window that pops up, type ipconfig. 

Look for "default gateway". The numbers after that are the IP address of your router.

Then type: ping default gateway -t (replacing "default gateway" with the IP you just found). 

It sends a small packet of data to the router and waits for a response to say it's received, and records that information in the window. Leave it running while you play the game. Once you've finished playing, press Ctrl+C to stop it. Then scroll through the window looking for abnormal figures under "time=". It should be in the single digits, though rare spikes of 100ms or so aren't uncommon. It's when its a regular occurrence, or it gets into the thousands, that you'll have found your packet loss.

Packet loss can, as a possibility, be your PC. Long ago i played Team Fortress on a low spec machine that'd sometimes see big spikes in packet loss when lots was going on on the screen. It could also simply be a server issue rather than anything to do with you.

The results of pinging your router can help you determine that.

Good luck. I remember ~2010 trying to work out what the hell was going on with my packet loss. That turned out to be an awful Belkin WiFi dongle (which was also causing BSODs). It was an absolute nightmare dealing with it.

carlos777uk

Hi thanks for taking the time to suggest something.  I ran ping whilst playing RL and there were several instances during one match of 1200-1900ms response.

I've since turned several graphics settings down, disabled firewall (RL was already permitted through but you never know), and updated Radeon drivers; nothing has worked.

I'll try turning my CPU overclock down and maybe updating Ethernet adapter drivers to see if that helps.  Any other ideas while I'm here?

carlos777uk

I've since installed manufacturer listed Ethernet drivers, tried another cable, adjusted network settings in-game; all to nothing.

The solution that lead me here from 2017 seemed to point to the complainee being given a fixed IP and it solving their problem.  Other threads in this section suggest that there's a bolt on option for £5?  I'll give it a go.

Lysen
Grafter

Honestly a static IP won't have any effect whatsoever. It just forces your ISP to give you a (basically) permanent lease time on the external IP address your router is assigned. The same IP that, say, shows up if you edit Wikipedia, or is used by an admin to ban you from a game server, or whatever.

It's only needed, in terms of gaming, to host a server because that IP is what users will use to connect to the server (so if the lease expires and you're assigned another IP address, users won't be able to connect).

It won't have any effect on your performance and packet loss though.

The most likely culprit here is the router. PlusNet equipment is, without a doubt, the absolute worst on the market, from any of the providers. Even the OpenReach engineer who came out the other day to sort yet another issue laughed when i told him we had a Hub One. The thing we had before, a Sagemcom 2704n, is notorious for being trash. Wouldn't even wipe myself with the thing.

What router do you have? If it's the 2704n then i guarantee that's your problem. If you have any other old routers from other ISPs or that you've bought yourself, i can do my best to help you set it up to work with PlusNet.

carlos777uk

Hi lysen, thanks for the reply. I clicked to get the fixed IP already so it's too late to go back on that. I also just reset the router and enjoyed 4 straight games with issue; unheard of!!

I do have put old sky q hub still; is it possible to use that? Second question then is it possible to use the Plusnet Hub One as a WiFi extender as that's currently what the q hub is doing over Powerline.
Cheers
Lysen
Grafter

"4 straight games with issue"

Is that a typo ("without issue", as in, it worked)? Or is it worse than before?

Sadly Sky's gear is locked down tight. They use something called MAC Encapsulated Routing, whereas PlusNet uses PPPoE. The Q hub won't let you put your PlusNet username and password in, so it just won't work :[

I was trying to get our Q hub (rebranded one from John Lewis Broadband) to work a few months ago, but not even custom firmware was a possibility.

What exactly is your setup? Is the router downstairs and the PC upstairs connected via Powerline adaptor? Or is the PC connected directly to the Hub One?

There's meant to be a bunch of potential interference from powerline adaptors. I personally never had any at all, but i've heard plenty of claims that, especially between floors, packet loss is a real issue.

carlos777uk

Hey, sorry yes that was a typo!  4 games without issue.

I'm on Ethernet directly into the Hub One.  The router in turn is directly next to the master socket in the house.

Other devices in the house are on powerline adapter on a different port.  I will disconnect them all and report back Smiley

Otherwise, the entire house network is hard to explain but here goes:

2.4 and 5GHz networks not sync'd.

LAN Port 1: My PC CAT5 direct

LAN Port 2: To powerline adapter of which there are 5 recipient devices.  2 x XBOX, 1 x TV, 1 x PC, 1 x Old Sky Q Hub set up as a WiFi extender.  (DHCP disabled)

LAN Port 3: To the misses' work laptop

LAN Port 4: Printer

Although that looks like a bit of a mess, everything tends to work OK.  No IP clashes, reasonable speeds.  I've done this to get as much off of WiFi as possible!  I feel however this is a separate issue since my ping to the router itself is the problem. 

XBOX players don't tend to grumble about lag or rubber banding on most games except for when the router is clearly getting itself in a mess and require a restart - obvious when this happens as EVERYONE in the house suddenly emerges from their room to grizzle!!)  On that note, two years ago we were with BT and moved because I had the same issue with the router 'falling over' after a while. The same with Sky last year.  I've reset all mobile device network settings (suspecting one of them to be the cause) but whatever hardware I end up with it always seems the same; after a while of usage (heavy in some cases as you can see with kids in the house) it just requires a reboot.

Anyway... Smiley