SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Latency on BNGs vs older gateways

@goldenfibre
Yes it is against bbc.co.uk
I used the windows command
"ping -f -l 1464 -n 100 bbc.co.uk"
where -l (lower-case L) is the packet size (maximum size -28 bytes overhead), -f means that the packets cannot be split in size and -n is the number of times to ping the site.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

ok I will try get to gateway ptw-bng01 and post back result
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.20:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms
After testing with ping -f -l 1464 -n 100 bbc.co.uk and gateway are: gateway ptn-bng01
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I think Plusnet Fibre Router are the worse ever! Very slow to do re-connection to different gateway. And end up in a messy loss of broadband! Netgear Fibre Router never do this, a very quick re-connection.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I am very annoyed now after trying to get gateway, now connected to gateway below:
You are currently connected to gateway ptw-bng01.
This is located in Telehouse West.
But speed is the worse ever below:

Testing ping below:
Ping statistics for 212.58.244.18:
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 11ms

I wish I never change gateway as it was 74/18 but now struggle at unbelieved slow 43/18
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I had changed to new gateway
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag05.
This is located in City Lifeline House.
and speed is much better now at 73/18

ping test result:
Ping statistics for 212.58.244.18:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms
AndyH I did test with same gateway as George but getting higher ping than George but very slow speed.
I think it problem with BT route gateway, some speed are terrible slow. But, I am now on the different gateway and speed back to normal as it should be but can't do anything about ping remain at 12ms

SpendLessTime
Hero

@goldenfibre
And your experience is why once I'm on a reasonable gateway, I don't like to manually hop.
However the hop to ptw-bng01 was forced by Openreach when they did some work on the exchange on July 30th. I've suffered by hopping gateways in the past in an attempt to get speedtest/thinkbroadband to be a consistent 76Mbps. Currently speeds are 76Mbps ( or 78Mbps on BTW test) and ping times reasonable so I'm staying put.

George
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

then andyh and me are possible have a problem with hopping gateways ?
SpendLessTime
Hero

It's not that simple as that, although Andy and I are on the same exchange and product, we both see different results even on the same gateway.
There are a lot more moving pieces involved than just an exchange/product/gateway to get a good consistent speed/response times.
I've have had some horrendous speed/latency issues on a supposedly "it works or doesn't work" fttp line. This proves how complicated things are in broadband these days.
When I was getting 500Kbps down for 18 hours plus at a time, people on the boards said that it wasn't possible as fttp works or doesn't.  Rubbish, just shows that even the perfect product (if you read other peoples' comments) will have issues which are hard to pin down. When this was happening Andy had zero issues for the nearly 4 months it took to solve.  Turned out to be faulty equipment in the exchange but not faulty enough for the monitoring to spot!
I don't have an answer for you goldenfibre, just that some times it doesn't pay to be helpful and hop gateways. Done that myself in the past and regretted it too.
I do think that we need to raise these latency issues when we see them as it may one day help Plusnet/Openreach find out why we are getting the problems but as they effect people at random (not the whole 40k plus on that gateway) it may be a long wait.
George
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

One of the issues we have with diagnosing these sorts of issues is that when you gateway hop, we use visibility of the connection path you were using to connect to that gateway.  There are multiple fibres into each gateway, which come from quite a few different BT nodes.  This is why two people who live next door, connect to the same gateway could see significantly differing speeds.  To really understand what's going on, we need to look at you connection at the time you are connected, not after you've disconnect.  That means living with poor performance while we look at it, which is understandably, not very palatable!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Kelly - Can you look at the routing (BT side) for me and George now? We should be on the same gateway right now (ptw-bng01), but my latency is 2x higher - speeds are absolutely fine and not an issue.
I'll stay connected to the same gateway unless something kicks me off.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Dave is out who usually does this.  I'll see if Matt can see what we need to see.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Kelly - I am on this gateway pcl-bng01 same as AndyH and George but getting average ping around 11-12ms.
AndyH
Grafter

Thanks Kelly - we can leave it until dave is back, I'll leave my connection as it is.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I leave my connection as it too.