Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issue on Fortnite

Eatpower
Grafter

Latency Issue on Fortnite

Hello, 

I just wanna say thanks to Ben Rowland for helping me gain access to my account. 

The main reason I am writing is because I'm still experiencing latency issues on Fortnite. I do not get this problem with a mode called "Save The World" only "Battle Royale" I have done a trace route on my PC and used PingPlotter on my iPhone. I don't know whether there are any signs of concerning problems that anyone can detect from these results. But this is making me want to give up gaming entirely, as the experience is extremely unpleasant. 

28 REPLIES 28
Eatpower
Grafter

Re: Latency Issue on Fortnite

Here is the other file containing the trace route. The PC is connected via wired connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know anything about Fortnite,  but your traceroute of 83ms is because you are connecting to a server (us-nyh.gia.bt.net) owned by BT but located in Canada.

Are you able to choose to connect to a Fortnite server in the UK ? as your latency is going to be nearer the 12ms you got for "gia.bt.net"

Eatpower
Grafter

Hi Nibiru,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message.

If I go into settings there is a called tab called Game and you get a list of servers you can choose to connect. I can either connect automatically to the server closer to me or choose one. The list goes like this

Auto-10ms
NA-East 90ms
NA-West 155ms
Europe- 10ms
Oceania- 283ms
Brazil- 190ms
Asia- 234ms
Middle East- 91ms

I’ve enclosed a picture to show you what it looks like. I have spoken to the developers of the game, and they massively insist their is nothing they can do and it’s all down to Plusnet. This was never a problem before, the only time this happens is when the game gets a new season and tons of people bog down their servers but as the weeks go by, things go back to normal.

Something that makes it strange is both Plusnet and OpenReach always tell me i'm close to a cabinet and how this should make my internet a lot better than others. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Eatpower wrote:

Something that makes it strange is both Plusnet and OpenReach always tell me i'm close to a cabinet and how this should make my internet a lot better than others. 

Your 'closeness to the cabinet' will have no bearing on ping times to remote servers.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what happens to your traceroute if you connect to "Europe" ?

I'm guessing you were on "Auto" if you were previously being routed to Canada.

Eatpower
Grafter

It doesn’t make a difference.

The trace route address (which I used) is: qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com

Here is a sample what Epic says about my ISP being responsible. “ Well, this is almost always due to an issue with your internet service provider's way they are routing to our Fortnite servers. Internet service providers use things called internet exchange points to efficiently carry data from your computer to any destination.”
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you get with a traceroute from a wired computer using terminal commands ?

If I trace (from a wired Linux computer) to  "qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com"  with 100 pings, I'm getting an average of 6.3ms latency and only one trace hop - which likely means that server is close to me (Essex) and probably in London or Paris.

$ mtr -w -c 100 -r qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com

Start: 2022-07-10T14:32:29+0100
HOST: My-Desktop-PC                                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1.|-- My-Router                                          0.0%   100    0.2   0.2   0.1   0.2   0.0
  2.|-- ec2-52-47-193-251.eu-west-3.compute.amazonaws.com  0.0%   100    5.9   6.3   5.6  14.0   1.2

Eatpower
Grafter

Tracing route to qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com 
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interestingly you earlier had a trace via Canada to  ixp1-ae-0.us-nyh.gia.bt.net

If I try and ping that I can't resolve that server -

$ mtr ixp1-ae-0.us-nyh.gia.bt.net

mtr: Failed to resolve host: ixp1-ae-0.us-nyh.gia.bt.net: Name or service not known
Eatpower
Grafter

Here's the result on Command Prompt

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wanted to keep a continuous track of the latency on your broadband connection from a server within the UK, you could try setting up a ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor,  although you do need a router that can reply to external PING requests, and it is preferable to have a Plusnet static WAN IP address or hostname registered with a dynamic DNS service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As your "tracert" command isn't showing a response time for  qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com

Do you get a latency number using an actual PING command ?

ping  qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com

I get -

$ ping  qosping-aws-eu-west-3.ol.epicgames.com

64 bytes from ec2-52-47-178-167.eu-west-3.compute.amazonaws.com (52.47.178.167): icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=6.7 ms
Eatpower
Grafter

Is that a Static IP?I had that added onto my account and one of the advisers believed that could of been the cause and removed it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have a static IP address.

I've found having a static IP avoids many of the geo-location problems Plusnet customers complain about when on dynamic IP