cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last week 2.5meg This week 0.1-0.6meg

Buran

Last week 2.5meg This week 0.1-0.6meg

And plusnet is not answering the phones, and live chat is hopeless.
When I joined the end of last year the speed jump from the old Demon account was impressive - we got 2.5meg reliably and I was a happy bunny. We live down a valley with a several mile phone cable run so I was never expecting the 9, 10 meg some of my mates get but I was happy enough.
No idea whats happening on our line but its currently very noisy with no dial tone on the phone  The broadband is varying wildly at one point last night I was getting this
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4485326627 ; which is just pathetic
At the moment Im getting
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4487743373
which at least makes browsing slightly less painful
The BT Wholesale test site says
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.62 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.82 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.16Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

The router stats are:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:21:19
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 256 / 928
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.30 / 9.77
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.8 / 16.6
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 6.7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 75 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 41 / 104,505
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 32 / 320
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 1,605

Suggestions gratefully accepted.!!
14 REPLIES 14
Buran

Re: Last week 2.5meg This week 0.1-0.6meg

Oh forgot to say - I did the line check that live chat suggested last night - that just crashes after a minute or so with a not very helpful "oops something went wrong" message on it!
I get the same useless result tonight
cedlor
Grafter

Hi - welcome to the forum - Afraid I only have problems not answers!
It could be down to the bad weather if you have a slow connection the thunderstorms can make it unusable,
Are you saying your phone does not work? - If that is the case I will put in  a recent comment from another thread.
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141254.0.html
Is your phone cordeless dect type>
Buran

Nope phone not working. Its corded, an oldish one. We rarely even have it plugged in these days  - there have been a few crackles on the line for ages, but Id put it down to the phone.
Yesterday no dial tone at all, and very very noisy line. It wouldnt surprise me in the least to fine line damage from thunderstorms- in dial up days I blew at least 4 modems in thunderstorms, the line from the pole to the house has been changed twice in 20 years & a while back several hundred yards of cable along the roadside had to be replaced due to trees rubbing through the cable.
No fttc here - the rest of town has been done & our valley has been totally ignored.
Interesting thread that celdor - things are very similar here.
cedlor
Grafter

By the way in case you were wondering the phone needs 2 intact wire connections but the Broadband only needs one wire  ( May be better with 2 but I dont know)
Think the way forward is to report as a Phone fault and dont mention internet ( if it is still poor) until an engineer appears.
Buran

I did look at bb via satellite to get a decent speed - but the plan I would have needed to get the data allowance was ridiculously expensive Sad
Ive logged a call on the phone reporter, and I'll borrow an old phone from work tomorrow to double check.
Buran

Yeah the line is fubar'd, although the dial tone is just about present tonight
Known good phone - line hideously crackly. Doing a 1471 call  the info about the last call is barely audible through the noise.
Ive pulled the faceplate off & plugged the phone into the master socket - no change.
Not impressed with PN customer service tho - having logged a call twice via the online phone fault reporter Ive not even had an email confirmation that "we have received your details" - the first one was 48 hours ago
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I can't see any faults raised on your account?
Have you been using the link below?
https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Buran

Also getting intermittent complete line drops with no activity on the line at all - no dial tone, & no noise.
Buran

Noisy line

As no-one from PN seems to be reading the broadband section I'll try in here instead.
Our line has gone horrendously noisy - the crackling is so bad the audio can barely be made out, and the line is dropping in and out with monotonous regularity. At times the line disappears completely - no dial tone, no crackling. And the presence of the dial tone is erratic
As you can imagine this is playing merry with the broadband connection.
This has been tested with a known good phone both on the faceplate & the master socket - no difference.
Ive logged a call with the phone checker part of the website last night & the night before - so far Ive not even got an acknowledgement the comment has been received. (Although to be fair the line checker always crashes halfway through with an "oops something has gone wrong" message. Not very helpful really.
Im certainly not wasting hours of my time waiting in the seemingly vain hope someone at the other end might pick the phone up
I though DEmon's customer service was bad, but PN's is rapidly going down as another company worth avoiding

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see you've spoken to our support team this morning. If you let us know when you're available for this to be booked we'll get it sorted.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

mod:note
Topics on same subject merged
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Buran

Quote from: Chris
I can see you've spoken to our support team this morning. If you let us know when you're available for this to be booked we'll get it sorted.

Hi Chris - the very pleasant young lady I finally managed to speak to says no engineer is available for a visit till the middle of next week - which is after I go away on holiday and engineers visits cant be booked more than 2 weeks in advance......
The odd thing is that she says no fault is apparent on the line, although I can hear the dial tone going on and off this evening between the crackles.
Such is life. I'll be in contact after I get back from holiday
NoZephy
Rising Star

If the dial tone is going on and off and there is some audible crackling on the line then an engineer ought to take a look, that would definitely be some sort of fault.
Hope you get this resolved and hope you get FTTC sometime soon! with any hope the county you live in should have one of those superfast broadband pushes going on, they cover cabs missed by the normal OpenReach project IIRC, or at least try too.
Estragon
Rising Star

The early loss of dial tone accompanied by a greatly degraded broadband connection speed is what happens when one wire of the pair is disconnected. The phone needs both, broadband can crawl along like the OP's on just one.
The recent post suggesting the dial tone is coming back occasionally could point to one end of an overhead cable perhaps, with the loose wire occasionally making contact as it sways. But that's just me musing. My first paragraph is fact.