cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large decrease in speed

MeatInACan
Dabbler

Large decrease in speed

Hi Guys, first off apologies if I'm jumping the gun! For the last couple of days I've noticed a large decrease in speed. I used to get around 3.5Mbps, this has decreased to 1.5ish over the last couple of days. I've done a BT speedtest:
    Your DSL connection rate: 4768 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1276 kbps
And here are my stats:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 4768 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 40 db 10.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 16 db
Is this simply a case of waiting for my ip profile to get updated? Or is something else wrong. Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Large decrease in speed

Yes you need to wait impatiently for your IP profile to update.
However more serious is why it dropped in the first place.
If you didn't do something like plugging an unfiltered device in then a bit of detective work is in order.
If you raise a ticket asking for the reported sync changes over the past week then this should tell you when it happened and may just give you a pointer for identifying the cause
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It'll take around 72 hours for your profile to update again, assuming you don't have any lower sync events in that period.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MeatInACan
Dabbler

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. I've done as you suggested Oldjim so I'll take a look at that when I get an answer. I've noticed that my sync rate has gone down to 3600, so I guess it dropped at some point yesterday. Going off on a tangent somewhat (please correct me if I'm way off) I've been doing a bit of reading and have noticed that people with identical stats to mine are getting much better speeds. Could this be due to internal wiring? I have wanted to test with the master socket's test socket in the past, but unfortunately found that I have the old LJU type and BT quoted a horrendous sum to come and update it.
Final question!  Smiley Some time last year I requested maxdsl and was told that my line wouldn't support anymore then I was currently getting (around 3.5mbps), is this still the case? And if I was getting 3.5mbps anyway wouldn't this suggest that I was already on maxdsl instead of the fixed 2meg line? Sorry if any of those questions are obvious, but they've been niggling me for a while now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Now starts the difficult part - sorting your problem.
Can you advise the model of router you have and also is it possible to connect the router and phone to the test socket so that your internal wiring is ruled out.
MeatInACan
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim, that was a fast response!
Unfortunately I'm at work at the moment, so I can't do any tests but I have a Netgear DG834 v3 with latest firmware.  I can't use the test socket as I don't have one on the old style master sockets.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That makes it more tricky.
Is there only one telephone point in the property or are there others hard wired in.
To allow fault and problem tracking I suggest downloading Routerstats http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and running it.
This will allow tracking of noise margin, sync rates etc. over time
MeatInACan
Dabbler

I believe the setup is: Master socket (which the router is connected to) and then 2 extensions hardwired from that point. I'm using filters on all of the sockets. I'll take a look at routerstats when I get home, is it something I should just leave running indefinitely? Or is there a recommended timeframe to do it? Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Leave it running until we see something odd - it means leaving your computer on
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes, your internal wiring (the bell-wire) is probably the reason you aren't doing better. My advice would be as follows with regards to sockets and wiring -
Don't tamper with ANY wiring at the moment. The chances are you have a line fault and as such you should be able to get your old Master socket replaced F.O.C. with a new Master LIneBox as part of the repair. Have a listen to your phone line, do you hear / have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noises on the line?
That said it could still be a filter (or router) gone faulty. You will need to be very methodical and use a process of elimination to pinpoint the problem. If you need some further guidance, I could post some later.
Meanwhile getting RouterStats running as Jim has suggested and a set of current line stats would help. With the RouterStats setup I would suggest you set the plotting to sample every 8 seconds, 900 points per page & Ramp Mode (all should become clear when you look at it, if not, Jim is an expert so I'm sure he'll point you the right way.).
MeatInACan
Dabbler

Hi Guys, once again thanks for all of the good advice.
Some good news! Flying in the face of logic I decided to remove my bell wire (I didn't cut it off just in case i need to put it back) and am now getting:
Your DSL connection rate: 5216 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2654 kbps
With stats:
Connection Speed  5216 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41 db 10.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db 16 db
I've had routerstats running overnight and I haven't dropped connection, so is there much point me posting the graph? I did notice that the noise margin gets lower at night, is this normal? Thanks again.
Edit: @Anotherone, yes there is some noise on the line, but I'm not sure how loud qualifies. It's audible but doesn't really impede conversations and I'm a bit hesitant to get BT out in case they try and stick me with a huge bill. After a bit of testing I've noticed that one phone seems to be more susceptible to the noise (BT phone ironically enough) and that it actually seems to increase the noise on the line somewhat.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A noise margin drop in the evening/night is normal (about 2dB).
Regarding the phone which gives the greater noise problem - is this a DECT phone or a hard wired phone
MeatInACan
Dabbler

It's hardwired.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I assume you tried switching the phones over to show that it isn't the wires
MeatInACan
Dabbler

Yes I've tried switching them around and there is always a noise there, that particular phone just seems to make it worse.