Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Speed Dropoff on line, connection issues

TheArbiter1985
Dabbler

Large Speed Dropoff on line, connection issues

Hello,
This evening I've noticed a large dropoff in the speed of my line, and in the last few days the connection has dropped a few times a day as well - equipment all seems to be working fine.
Usual speed is about 9Mbps. Using a BT Home Hub 2.0, currently shows the following:
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:38:02
Downstream 1,408 Kbps
Upstream 443 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 27.8 dB / 23.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 38.5 dB / 20.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 10.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 12
Loss of Signal (Local) 74
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 4294967183
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 3 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 3839
That noise margin is massive, it's usually 6-9db. Doing the BT Wholesale speed test gave the following:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.13 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.7 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.3 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.3Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
No service issues in the area to my knowledge, will keep checking speed overnight. Connection currently stable, drops, which up until now had been regular (in that the connection would drop once briefly every 2-3 weeks, presumably deliberately, and never repeatedly) were happening a few times cyclically earlier today and yesterday.
1 REPLY 1
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Large Speed Dropoff on line, connection issues

the cyclic connection drops have caused your line to be banded http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles however I have no idea why the BT test should give such a duff result as the profile doesn't reflect the actual speeds
Given that it is a long weekend you may be stuck until a line reset can be done on Tuesday
In the meantime do not resync the router and you could try phoning faults or raising one at https://faults.plus.net
Can you provide the router stats again and the BT speed test result run immediately afterwards