cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop breaks WiFi everytme it connects - Resolved

lyncsync

Laptop breaks WiFi everytme it connects - Resolved

Hi everyone,
I have two laptops that break my Wi-Fi connection and force the router to restart every time I attempt to connect either of them. All my other devices; laptops, PCs, smartphones and tablets connect without error but the two problem laptops 'break' the router every time.
Problem kit:
Lenovo laptop running Windows 7 64-bit, fully patched.
Dell Latitude E4300 running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit preview.
Router is a Thomson TG585 v8 f/w 8.2.7.8
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Laptop breaks WiFi everytme it connects

can you be a bit more specific about how the router breaks
Does it just lose wifi to the other devices or does it actually reboot
lyncsync

Thanks for the reply.
It reboots itself. All the lights go out apart from the power one which changes from green to red. About 2 minutes later the router is back and ready to use. Well, as long as I have switched off W-Fi on the offending laptop.
If I leave Wi-Fi on the laptop on then it reconnects itself to the router, which then reboots itself.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There has been another report of that
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97865.0.html
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's just a continuation of the long saga of 585v8 wireless issues which were never properly fixed. I hope nobody is going to try to claim it's the laptop's fault for causing the router to crash - obviously the router shouldn't crash regardless of anything any device does.
Could try disabling 11n on the router. The 585v8 has only got one antenna, so only supports a single stream, so its 11n is only 65Mbps anyway. This doesn't meet the requirements of the 802.11n specification which requires access points (routers) to support at least 2 streams (have at least 2 antenna). Best solution would probably be replacing the router with a different model.
lyncsync

RESOLVED
Thanks so much chaps. I have now got the Dell connected and working without the router rebooting. I'm about to make the same change on the Lenovo too.
For anyone else who is having a similar issue I followed the advice in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152 to change the default 'Balanced' power plan to always have the Wi-Fi card at maximum performance whether it was on battery or plugged into the mains.
Have a great rest of the weekend folks.
lyncsync

I'm new to this forum. Is there a way for me to mark my post as Answered/Resolved?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Laptop breaks WiFi everytme it connects - Resolved

I've edited the topic title for you to reflect it's status as resolved. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
lyncsync

Re: Laptop breaks WiFi everytme it connects - Resolved

Thanks.