Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag spikes in gaming when any other activity on connection

swhitmey
Dabbler

Lag spikes in gaming when any other activity on connection

Hi,
We're having an issue on my connection while gaming. This has only really become a major issue in the last week or so, but it was historically present in the past in some form or another. If I'm gaming (usually League of Legends) and there is any other activity on the connection (browsing the web, watching youtube etc) then my game will lag terribly (1000ms+) until that activity is finished.
It's quite easy for me to replicate this by just running a game, tabbing out and starting the test at speedtest.net. While the test is active, I get 1000ms+ ping, as soon as it finishes I'm back to normal.
It's my understanding of the QoS that Plusnet provides that this should not be happening (gaming is on the highest tier of priority). Is there anything that can be done to help resolve this? If I'm playing a game I have to ask my girlfriend not to do anything on the connection whatsoever, which means I just never play games any more, it's not good!
I did have a post going on a similar subject when the issue wasn't so bad about a month ago, and I lost track of the thread. We didn't reach any conclusions or perform any action/testing as a result of that thread.