cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag specifically in the evenings pls help!

james121

Lag specifically in the evenings pls help!

I have been working with Plusnet to try to resolve 'lag spike issues'. The problem remains unsolved. This ONLY occurs in the evenings, and at other peak usage times (e.g weekends).
I have been with Plusnet for over a year now and never had any problems, until recently (started in the last 3-4 weeks). 
Ping during the day is a very stable 25-30 but at the peak times it rises to 400-500 (and sometimes drops back to 60-70 every 15-20mins for a few minutes  but then rises to 400-500 again).
I am a avid wold of warcrafter (sorry!) but the problem is not just restricted to the game, internet surfing is also slow at the above times, so this is why I have posted  here. Ping tester grades me as a D or E at these high lag periods, but outside of these periods I always get a A.
I have tried everything (I think!) I can to sort this: removed my firewall/security software from my PC, opened all current WOW ports through my router (as I cant turn my routers firewall off from the standard setting), updated all my drivers, checked my hardware over and over (inluding wiring), downloaded that Leatix latency reduction software for WOW.
I have supplied Plusnet with Wireshark data files (1 for a high ping period and 1 for a low ping period) and they inform me that my gaming traffic is being prioritised correctly (I am on their pro-package).
My PC is top quality (a 2k 1yr old gaming PC from Scan) and I have done all the above tests whilst disabling my wireless connection to ensure that my bandwidth is not being hacked.
Oh and I can see the exchange from my bedroom window!
I am no expert but if everything is perfect during the day, but drops off at peak times, would this  indicate that the problem is beyond my immediate control?
Anyone experiencing the same problems and/or have any suggestings to improve the situation?

Many thanks in advance for your advice:) James

7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Lag specifically in the evenings pls help!

Hi james121,
The VP at the exchange is showing green, so at this point i would say raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
In the meantime I will send an email to get the VP checked out further for you.
Jojo Smiley
james121

Jo thanks for the swift reply.....I have done as you asked. I have opened a new ticket to the technical team. It would be really nice if my issue was sent to a experinced technician to chat this through with me.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james121,
I'm still waiting on the email response so we'll see what to do depending on what they say.
Jojo Smiley
rhodesia

most evenings my internet goes off around 8.00pm, occasionally earlier. This usually goes on for  two weeks or so and then we go back to normal. Currently it seems to be ok.
If I switch off my modem and switch it back on after counting up to 20, it comes back on.
Just don't understand it, but as I'm on a Scottish island anything is possible!!
Mary.
m@vanheerden.force9.co.uk
james121

Many thanks for the advice above (I will power cycle my router as you have suggested but I have tried this before with no sucess)
As Jo asked I opened a fault ticket -using the exact same information that I opened this thread with. As you will see I specifically stated that I have supplied Plusnet with two wireshark files only very recently.
This made me laugh (and cry) as the Plusnet reply 2 days later was.......
So that we can investigate this further for you we would ask that you carry out a wireshark capture whilst attempting to use the affected application, and then attach the results to this ticket. Full details on how to do this are available here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
Me thinks that I wont see a result this side of xmas:(
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james121,
I have emailed again as I've not received a reply yet - which is unusual as they're normally quite good in that respect. As for the wireshark capture, having already analysed the results on 20th November and found that is was not a traffic management issue, so I don't think it's worth checking that again. I'm sorry you were asked to do that again and I'll speak to that agent involved. I'll keep chasing for you though.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james121,
Below is the email I received
[quote=email]I have checked and this VP has previously been classed as running hot but has since been capped which means no other end users are being enrolled onto this ncif. Natural wastage is also resulting in more available bandwidth for the remaining end users. have checked the PTTR test run by your customer and it has resulted in a pass. If you feel your customer may be experiencing performance issues due to the VP please can you ask your customer to carry  out further PTTR tests as evidence of slow throughput
So, as per the email, would you be able to conduct further BT speed tests so we can continue to push this for you?
Jojo Smiley