cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of routers for Fibre customers

Kurayamino

Lack of routers for Fibre customers

Good Morning.
Bit of a complaint and a bit of a warning. If you're going to place an order for fibre be aware that the routers are/were out of stock. Plus net don't tell you this when you order it online. No phone call, no email.
Secondly, my complaint other than that. 47408013 ticket has been open in some form since the 1st Oct. It seems the only way to get a reply is to post on the forums these days. Is the ticket system null and void?
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212 I refer to this link last updated apparently on the 9th. I have had a ticket open for longer than stated by a few days now and had no reply. It does say there 4 hours. 365 days a year.
Is there a way to access the modem supplied by BT? Are these locked?
Also to note. There is much discussion over the supplied modem, the Huawei Echo Life HG612 and how terrible they are. Is it a BT option to have these completely locked down so you cannot access the modems eg the "Advanced Management via HTTP, TR-069" info page? Also the box makes wild claims about the modem having to ethernet ports. It does, but only one works. I guess it didn't say working!
Just my 2 pence.
If any of you can answer any of this stuff or just wish to share your frustrations over anything I've bought up, please feel free to share your pain,
15 REPLIES 15
Force9Original
Grafter

Re: Lack of routers for Fibre customers

You can unlock the Huawei .
Lots of info http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/ if you have your own spare model.
You all know the usual disclaimers ect  Wink
Cheers f9o
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

And if you touch it then you are breaking the agreement with BT whose property it is - Don't do it
Kurayamino

Thanks for the suggestion Force9Original. It's not something I have any intention of doing, completely puzzles me why it has to be locked in the first place though.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

To stop people fiddling with it. Remember this started out as a trial so BT made sure only their config was in use during it. Doing a trial where users can adjust the settings makes it very difficult to identify faults.
Eventually, like the original broadband installs which used a modem from BT, the requirement for the VDSL modem will go so people can use their own equipment. VDSL routers are still rare and expensive at the moment but as more people get fibre the manufactures of routers will include VDSL and the cost should come down.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Kurayamino, your router was despatched on Friday. I've just bounced your support ticket back to you too responding to some of your other concerns.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dave777
Dabbler

Hi Bob,
This has concerned me as my install is on Wednesday morning and I have heard nothing either. I raised a ticket this morning (Question #47504334) but can you look as well please.
Cheers
Dave
Dave777
Dabbler

I have just called support to check and it seems mine was not ordered as the ordre was stuck in processing!! I am awaiting a reply to confirm it will be with in time otherwise I am in trouble. Any ideas?
Definitely not the best service so far! Let us hope lessons can be learnt so no other customers have this issue.
Fingers crossed the install goes better.
Cheers
Dave
catshill
Grafter

It appears to me as though Routers are not sent unless you specifically ring Plusnet and ask for one.
Mine only arrived after I rang Plusnet on the day of the installtion - an order was placed and it arrived 3 days later.
Dave777
Dabbler

They took the £4.99 postage and packing instantly. Also the FAQ states that they will send the router to arrive either before or on the date of install. Very specific. I even asked if I could get a better one and they said no!!
I will be so angry if it is not here in time as I have struggled to get the whole day off to sort this. Plusnet even have a guide to setting the router up ready for the modem to arrive with the engineer.
Dave
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dave777,
I can confirm that your router will be dispatched today, and should therefore be with you either tomorrow or Thursday.
Hope that helps,
Dave777
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply Matt. I am afraid it doesn't help. My install is booked for Wednesday morning 8am-1pm. I have this day off and the place apart to get to the master socket. I am going away on Thursday afternoon on business for a few days.Sam said to me when I phones that I can plug a pc straight into the modem to get internet without the router?
Your own FAQ states....
"16. Will I need a new router?
Yes. A wireless fibre router is supplied (P&P £4.99) with all fibre packages. We'll make sure it arrives before or on your installation day.
We strongly recommend using the router we supply. However, if you're an experienced Internet user you can try using your own router if you'd prefer"
I do not currently have a suitable router.
My post does not arrive early here can it not be sent next day delivery as I asked?
How can the enginerr check all ok without it and what do my family do for internet access if it is not here?
I am very angry and this. I was promised a call this morning at 830am by Sam and have been sitting in all morning waiting for it and nothing.
Please advise.
David Norman
StuartUK35
Grafter

My Advice:
Ring consumer Direct.
Tell them your issue (you ordered a service from Company A: Company A has failed to provide you with the industry standard part for the service to work on the dates specified in there own terms)
My guess is:  They might say, if you can purchase the same unit (from say CraP World / thats PC World) , the Netgear WNR1000 Cable router for £39.99 (£29.99 by most sellers)....  Therefore you could buy the unit yourself, and then recoup the cost of the part + money owed (£4.99 p&p).....
Worth a shot?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi David,
You can indeed plug the fibre modem directly into a PC (if the router doesn't arrive tomorrow) - there's details on how to configure that connection in our support library, here.
I'm afraid we're not able to send anything recorded or next day delivery but there is a fair chance the router will get to you tomorrow. I'm very sorry for the delay.
Dave777
Dabbler

Thank you Matt at last someone seems to want to own the problem. Can you confirm who you use for router deliveries please.
I will add the rest of my comments on the ticket.
Cheers
David