cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD flat panel disrupting broadband service - be warned

Saturn
Grafter

LCD flat panel disrupting broadband service - be warned

Firstly can someone in CS cancel the internal request for interleaving on my line (mentioned in ticket 22695881) as I believe the problem is fixed and doesn't require interleaving.  I've said so in the ticket but wanted to catch it before it happens. Thanks.
For those who are interested,  my broadband service has been syncing rock solid at 8128kbps since the service was first maxed.  Then a week ago it was all over the place.  For periods it would be solid and then for periods it would keep re-syncing at ever reducing speeds.
Yesterday I traced the problem to a LCD flat panel monitor which is quite old and was showing signs of starting to fail. It got moved to a room directly underneath the Router and must have been radiating so much noise that it was stopping the broadband service when turned on.
Apart from the CS message above I thought this experience was worth sharing with other PN customers as it's not a piece of equipment you would first think would be causing a broadband service failure.  I can't be the only one with an old LCD flat panel.
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: LCD flat panel disrupting broadband service - be warned

Hi there,
I've just cancelled the interleaving order for you.
Interesting to hear of another thing to add to the interference list Smiley
Saturn
Grafter

Thanks James.  I've just asked another supplementary question if you have time.  Wink
Indeed another one for the list, hence the post.  It took a bit of tracing too because I wasn't the one turning the monitor  on and off.  And to compound the problem once the Router syncs at a lower rate it stays there even though the source of noise may be turned off.  I was lucky to be watching the Router stats as my son turned the faulty monitor on.
James
Grafter

Hi again,
Ticket duly responded to Smiley
Saturn
Grafter

Thanks again
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Saturn,
Before you dump the LCD Monitor, try replacing the Power Supply Unit. I have had a PSU for a CCTV Camera go so noisy as to be obliterating the MW and SW spectrum for a half mile radius of my home. When I replaced the PSY, my Broadband sync jumped from the low 3Mbps to a full 8Mbps rate.
I managed to buy a bunch of 12V Regulated PSU's which are very quiet and smooth and have resolved my problems.
lunarjetman
Grafter

Wheel_Nut, how did you determine that it was the PSU? Was it the old wandering around with an AM radio tuned off- station?
I've got a steady impulse tick putting noise on my line every two seconds and I can clearly hear it clicking with an AM radio but I can't work out what it is (no electric fences nearby).
Saturn
Grafter

Wheel_Nut,
It's a thought and true the psu was getting hot, but I think the problem is with the panel circuitry itself.  It won't work properly at the low res modes used before Windows starts and I think it's overloading the psu.  It doesn't have a full brightness and contrast range now anyway so I think it's past its sell by date (it is quite old).  Nice idea though.
BTW Since it's been turned off my BB connection has been rock steady again, synced at 8128kbps.  Who'd have thought a LCD pnael could cause such disruption.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: lunarjetman
Wheel_Nut, how did you determine that it was the PSU? Was it the old wandering around with an AM radio tuned off- station?
I've got a steady impulse tick putting noise on my line every two seconds and I can clearly hear it clicking with an AM radio but I can't work out what it is (no electric fences nearby).

I didn't realise I had a problem until I spotted a close neighbour of mine and a couple of his cronies pacing up and down the street with a directional Aerial on a pole and headphones on theier heads. My curiosity got the better of me and I invited them in. We isolated circuits in the house and quickly identified the rogue PSU. Evidently, this had been jamming from around 400KHz to ~ 15MHz for a radius of some 500 metres and was being actively discussed o the RSGB chat airwaves!.
The rogue PSU was one of those cheap  light units that are typically supplies as OEM PSU's for mobile phones. This one came with a CCTV Camera made in China. I have replaced it with a REGULATED 12V Switched Mode PSU which cost me a tenner and peace has been restored to the neighbourhood.
Saturn, If you are going to try an alternative PSU, make sure that you get a REGULATED PSU with the same Voltage and Current rating as the original one. I have lots of PSUs which are specified as 12V but put out an open circuit voltage of 19V. I have checked the ripple and they are as rough as the proverbial Badgers B*m. I think the 12V 1.0A supply I bought is labelled "Scantronic" but I can ckeck it for you if you like.
I would still bet that the problem you have is the PSY rather than the panel.
R
imroberts
Grafter

Quote from: James
Interesting to hear of another thing to add to the interference list Smiley

We'll have to start telling customers to turn off their monitors as a first step of identifying connection problems  Grin Grin
On a serious note though, it's surprising what things can cause problems with ADSL. I for example have a CCTV camera that knocks around 2mb off my sync speed!  Huh