Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Port Disconnecting

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: LAN PORT DISCONNECTING

I'm not seeing any factual evidence to support the belief that the (completely theoretical at this point) compatibility issue is being caused solely by the hub. On the contrary, I can easily dig out forum threads that describe very similar symptoms affecting this particular NIC and ethernet devices that have nothing to do with Plusnet-issued equipment.
What is fact, is that everything is conjecture at this point until a situation arises where the issue can be replicated, properly investigated, and the cause understood.
Let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Any power-saving settings on on the router or Xbox? And, if you're using powerline adapters, these should be checked for power-saving settings. If there is little to no traffic, the speed of lan ports can be lowered to conserve energy.
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If this isn't applicable, then my other suggestions would be to:

- check power-saving options on your XBox (though given that it works fine at another location, this isn't probably the issue here) 

- check your firewall settings, and more specifically DMZ settings

If all fails, you could consider resetting your Plusnet Hub to factory defaults. Before you do that, take a note of your settings, especially DSL ones, including your username and password, and before proceeding, always make a backup copy, just in case.

The fact that all LAN ports are behaving in the same way suggests that the issue is with your settings somewhere, rather than a faulty Hub or cables.  

Sheppy127
Grafter

I’m so sorry to say but I’m so happy that someone else is having this issue and it’s not just me! 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️ I have lost so many hours to trying to rectify this issue and have basically given up and gone to WIFI,
We’re now having complete broadband disconnects now and 4 open reach visits but still no fix. The average up time we have is 30 minutes before the whole thing disconnects and then comes back up again! I’m so done with it all 🤦🏽‍♀️
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@Sheppy127 Ey up. Logically speaking, you must have missed something because it's not the router (you've changed it). It's not the Ethernet cable (you've changed it).  It's not the console (you tried it elsewhere). It's not the internet (This is separate from networking). My guess is that something is messing with the DHCP such as a networking switch, Powerline adapters, WIFI boosters, a Mesh, even a computer acting as a server in some way messing with the DHCP.

If this was me however painstaking it is, I'd properly sand box the console, I'm talking WIFI off in the router, only 1 Ethernet cable out of the router going to the console. NOTHING ELSE however unlikely connected and see if it still happens. If it does, I’d use a computer with the same cable to see if it happens then. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
brunrestz

Oh yes, incase there was a problem with the ports on the first router but seems not! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@James30

To be fair, all of those things might have been ruled out as being the cause ON THEIR OWN. There is though no clear technical evidence of how the console’s NIC performs with other routers, beyond the user not PERCEIVING an issue. What is clear is that with the Plusnet Hub Two the console is not negotiating a 1Gbps connection and the connection which is established appears to be getting bounced. That does not conclusively prove that the issue is SOLELY the router.

What might be informative is the detailed connection log with a different router which verifies that a stable 1Gbps connection is established and maintained.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

In several cases in the past I have tracked weird network issues down to to the MTU value - not every NIC handles split packets well, and may do something daft like trying to re-negotiate a lower speed when it isn't the speed that's the problem. MTU is dependent on the whole network path, so can be different in each case even with the same equipment. I'd lower the MTU (if you can) and see if that helps.

Personally I'd be using WireShark by now, but that's not for the feint hearted.