cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping an account open without a house to tie it to?

digitalhome

Keeping an account open without a house to tie it to?

Hi,
I began raising this on Twitter yesterday and got one reply from "^BP" (Bob Pullen, I'm guessing), but then the response dried up and I suspect this is because 140-character messages can't really do it justice!
I'm planning to move house this year, and this would be all nice and simple and presumably allow me to carry over my current PlusNet broadband product to the new house, if it were a standard move where I'm in one house one day and the next the next.
Sadly we're buying a new place and it may be that we end up having to sell our current house and then live somewhere else temporarily while they finish the new place.
If it does come to this, will we end up losing our current PlusNet broadband product? We (username "digitalhome") are on PlusNet "Unlimited", which I don't think is any longer available, and also have lots of legacy features (e.g. CGI) from our previous "Premier" product. To be honest I'm so happy with this combination of features that I would probably rather do a major rethink of our entire moving plans than have to give it up for ever!
What I wondered was, if it did come to the above situation, would there be any way to keep our account active without having it linked to a phone line/house, for the couple of months (or whatever) we were living somewhere temporary? I'd even be happy to pay the monthly fee despite not using the service, but I just don't know if this can be done.
Fingers crossed our house move doesn't come to this anyway, but I'd like to know now what the situation with PlusNet would be if it did!
Thanks in advance for any advice...
9 REPLIES 9
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Keeping an account open without a house to tie it to?

You can do it - you just need to find the right person.
I had one of my accounts floating in the ether without an asset attached to the account for some time.
You would still have to pay the monthly fee (or at least, I had to...)
Lurker
Grafter

As an aside - you could easily get a couple of years hosting elsewhere for the cost of the couple of months ADSL subs you would be 'wasting'.
This would give you more flexibility, and would allow you to consider your ISP options a little more objectively when the time comes. Wink
Mand
Grafter

Hi digitalhome,
It is possible, we can cease your current service and keep the account active until you move into the new place.
You would need to keep paying for the account though (depending on how long it's going to be for we can look at that though ;)).
Best to get in touch a couple of weeks before you leave the current house and we can take things from there. Smiley
digitalhome

Wonderful news - thank you Mand. (Thanks also James_G for the initial replies!)
Now we just have to hope we never have to take you up on this offer Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Fingers crossed for you. Smiley
Moving house is a nightmare at the best of times!
digitalhome

Thank you Mand!
Sorry if I'm now taking my own thread off my own topic, but it's beginning to look a bit more like we will have to do this and that our temporary home will actually be my parents' house, which leads me onto another query! My parents are of course with PlusNet, but they're on PlusNet Value and I could easily see us gobbling through their 10GB monthly limit within a week or two of turning up (whoops).
I assume it would be possible for them to upgrade quickly and painlessly to Premium when we arrive, but I wonder if it would then be possible for them to *downgrade* back to Value just a few months later when we move out again? I wouldn't want to commit them to a more expensive package for life but I just know we'd struggle to rein in our iPlayer usage etc.! (If what they can and can't do depends on their specific account, their username is pspeller.)
Honestly, given how complicated our house move is turning out to be, you would think I would have more things to worry about than our broadband access, but hey, I have to get my priorities in order don't I? Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wouldn't expect those changes (up and down the product scale) to be a problem if done on billing days. However it might be Monday now before you get a reply from the Comms Team.
Are you any good at draughts and chess? Looks like those would be easy compared with the logistics of your house move. Grin
David
digitalhome

Quote from: spraxyt
I wouldn't expect those changes (up and down the product scale) to be a problem if done on billing days. However it might be Monday now before you get a reply from the Comms Team.

Cool, thanks.
Are you any good at draughts and chess? Looks like those would be easy compared with the logistics of your house move. Grin

Haha, actually, no, I'm not. Perhaps that's why the move is proving so challenging for us Smiley
Mand
Grafter

As discussed, this won't be a problem.
Gimme a shout when you know all the dates and we'll get things sorted for you. Wink