cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep losing connection after "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]"

rburton74uk

Keep losing connection after "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]"

Hi everyone.  Recently registered here to look-up this problem following several unsuccessful support tickets and OpenReach engineer visits.  I now have a new ticket open with support, but thought I would log this again here for more visibility, even though there are several previous posts about the same issue.

Problem is that I work from home a lot and rely on my Unlimited Fibre extra (78Meg/s) service which I've had since FTTC roll-out in my village in late 2015.  But I experience this problem at least every couple of days, and sometimes up to 4 times a day!

In the WAN log on the router (2nd PlusNet Hub One), I see the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" followed a couple of seconds later by "PPPoE is down after X minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]".  The lights on the Hub change from solid blue to flashing orange and it takes 1 minute 24 seconds to get reconnected.  This is extremely annoying when i am working from home and it happens in the middle of a conference call.

OpenReach engineers have been and checked the internal wiring (house was a new build in late 2013).  I am connected to master socket with no other live extensions in the house, and on the test socket with no faceplate or other devices connected (not that it makes any difference).  I've tried multiple ADSL filters in this set up and several faceplates with different cables to Hub.  Also, this problem was occurring with previous Hub which I forced PlusNet to replace after exhausting previous invetigations, however, it is still happening.  OpenReach engineers have checked ducting and cabling and street cab, I've been swapped on to different pairs in same and different cable bundles, but all to no avail.

Note the low (~3.0dB downstream margin).  This is very consistent.  I've had profile reset which forced it back to the recommended 6.0dB, but that limited my download speed to less that 30Meg/s.  After a while it reset its self and did that a few more times until that number came back to 3.0dB again.  Seems like the DSLAM thinks the line can take the speed, but only if it lowers the SNR.  Eng reported a lot of packed (ACK?) traffic on the line when it was tested.  PlusNet are estimating the line length at ~655m to the street cab - it runs in an odd elongated route, even though I am physically about 100m closer if I walk along the pavement to it.

Problem is obviously something with the line / cabinet / infrastructure, but can't seem to get it fixed.  I see a lot of other people with the same issue.

* Note that I am normally working right next to the router with wired Ethernet connection on my laptop.  Router is using a standard length cable in perfect condition to connect to the socket and is less than 1m from it.

Any ideas at all?  What can I ask of PlusNet to force OpenReach to fix this?

Also, finally, a couple of months ago, I noticed speed was slow.  I did speed tests and saw that I was only getting 30Meg/s instead of the usual 60+Meg/s.  Seemed that my connection had been limited / restricted to slower (38Meg/s) service.  I put up with it for a while as it was totally stable (with no drops) for over 25 days, however I am still being billed by PlusNet at full price for my 78Meg/s service!

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub

2. Serial number:

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated Unknown

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:10:17

6. Data rate: 12515 / 69522

7. Maximum data rate: 12514 / 70315

8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 3.5

9. Line attenuation: 24.7 / 20.0

10. Signal attenuation: 24.5 / 19.7

11. Data sent/received: 18.6 GB / 158.1 GB

12. Broadband username:  

13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  

18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 217 Mb/s))

19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2

20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

21. Firewall: Default

22. MAC Address:  

23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

24. Software variant: AA

25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

6 REPLIES 6
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Keep losing connection after "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]"

Hi @rburton74uk,

I sincerely apologise for the issue with your broadband service and thank you for providing us all this information.

The drops occurring in your service don't meet the scales in which we would usually raise a fault with our suppliers (3 drops in 24 hours or 6 drops in 72 hours.) However, I notice that your connection is targeted at 3dB SNR and thanks for pointing this out. I have raised a request to our products team to update the firmware version as we have known drops occur on this particular firmware version when the line is operating at 3dB. I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that this is the route cause of the fault but it is best we rule this out before continuing the investigation.

In the meantime, I recommend checking the firmware version periodically over the next few days to ensure it has changed to a newer version and once this is showing monitor your service for further disconnections.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
rburton74uk

Re: Keep losing connection after "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]"

Hi Lewis

Firmware updated either at 01:04 or 10:23 this morning during 2 of the 4 further drops that have occurred since my post.  I will monitor and update here and in the support ticket.

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 Last updated 31/12/18
6. Data rate: 12432 / 71989
7. Maximum data rate: 12435 / 71686
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 3.4
9. Line attenuation: 24.8 / 20.0
10. Signal attenuation: 24.4 / 19.9

Thanks!

Rob.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hopefully that sorts it Rob, let us know how it goes after some time monitoring.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rburton74uk

Thanks Harry.

Note that there was 1 more drop on 1st and another on 2nd before this morning.

OpenReach engineer visited today from 08:25 to 12:30 (router on, but disconnected from socket while engineer running tests). Error on line detected along with higher than expected "FEC" messages on his line test console. Extended testing and checks on everything. All clear on socket, wiring, line to cab, cab, line to exchange, but issue in plusnet equipment in Exchange which will be swapped over this afternoon.

OpenReach engineer called from exchange at 13:30 - Switch over* has been completed, issue should now be fixed.

* This seems to confirm what I've read in previous posts from others about the origin of the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" message.

Status of connection is now showing:

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 Last updated 31/12/18
6. Data rate: 12107 / 69167
7. Maximum data rate: 12107 / 69408
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 3.4
9. Line attenuation: 24.9 / 20.0
10. Signal attenuation: 24.3 / 19.9

I am now back on a PlusNet IP address (as resolved by Speedtest.net) at 147.147.61.122 - see http://www.speedtest.net/result/7927645399.png.

I will monitor connection over next week.. Have requested ticket is left open until 15/01/2019 for this.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @rburton74uk,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that the engineer looks to have got to the bottom of the cause of this issue.

We'll make sure that the fault ticket remains open so that you can monitor the connection. Please let us know if you continue to experience any connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @rburton74uk,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that the engineer looks to have got to the bottom of the cause of this issue.

We'll make sure that the fault ticket remains open so that you can monitor the connection. Please let us know if you continue to experience any connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team