cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep losing Internet

mPH
Grafter

Re: Keep losing Internet

Its going to be wired to the ADSL socket on the extension eventually.  Maybe that will sort the problem.
Denzil
Grafter

As others have said, you shouldn't have anything wired in before the master socket. Jelv's test will tell you for sure.
In general it is best to have the router plugged in as close as possible to the master socket. If you need to run wires then a long network cable from router to PC is better than a long telephone cable from socket to router. If you can do that then swap the filtered faceplate from the extension to the master socket, and plug the router in there.
mPH
Grafter

May try the test but its not connected to the master in any way.
mPH
Grafter

Having same problems again.  Sad  I have logged this as a fault but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?  I don't know whether it could be the router that is at fault here. Internet is fine 99% of the time but the little disconnects are making online gaming impossible.
Wiring has been simplified now.  One dual/filtered socket now feeds telephone and router but still having problems.  Particularly bad the last couple of days.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

?  what is the socket?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looking at your router it should be fine on an ADSL2+ line, and provided the router is now in the master socket and everything else is filtered you should have ruled out any internal wiring as an issue as well. I'll take a look at your ticket shortly.
mPH
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
?  what is the socket?

A short extension to the other side of the room.  WIth a Phone and ADSL output.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can we have a bit more explanation of what you have please.
As I see it the fat wire coming in through the wall and going to the right hand connector box in the first picture is the wire coming in to the house.
The extension plugged in to the socket in the first photo goes to the filter socket shown in the second picture.
Where does the thin wire coming out of the small connector box in the first photo go to?
What is the thin wire going through the wall?
It might be easier to follow if you sketched a diagram and took a photo (or scanned) that.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mPH
Grafter

The grey wire goes to the phone and the one going through the wall goes directly to the router.  Nothing else is connected.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

cant see any sign of a filter Embarrassed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You need some new glasses! Tongue
mPH
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
cant see any sign of a filter Embarrassed

The box has a filter fitted internally for both sockets apparently.  When its working like now it is great, just the random drops that are annoying.  Dont know what is at fault  Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you could respond to my Reply #22 we can take it from there as those pictures some some avenues to explore.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One possibility is that the connection across the room seems to go under the carpet and may have been damaged with an intermittent connection fault.
It is also a flat twin cable which isn't ideal. As a first thing I would try replacing the cable or connecting the router directly to the first socket through a filter
mPH
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you could respond to my Reply #22 we can take it from there as those pictures some some avenues to explore.

Master socket =========extension========> Phone/ADSL ======== One to telelphone / One to Router (D-Link G624T) wire runs through the wall to upstairs.
Face plate on the extension has a filter wired internally.
Quote from: Oldjim
One possibility is that the connection across the room seems to go under the carpet and may have been damaged with an intermittent connection fault.
It is also a flat twin cable which isn't ideal. As a first thing I would try replacing the cable or connecting the router directly to the first socket through a filter

The extension has only just been fitted and didnt see any damage to it.  Been having the problem before the extension went in also.