cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering - Overnight usage question.

Bradley
Grafter

Just wondering - Overnight usage question.

Heya guys, I was just wondering what time does the overnight usage start? Is it bang on 00:00 Or is there a delay on it? Just curious as i'm very close to using my limit and i'm desperate to download something that is very large.
Thanks guys  Kiss
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just wondering - Overnight usage question.

Midnight exactly, as just demonstrated by my downloading BBC iPlayer at low speed, 11:45pm, which shot up to 17mb/s at midnight, as it does every night.
Which is when the unlimited overnight starts, unthrottled. The same clock.
My little download speed graph on my menu bar went from a line to a block at midnight.

(Note, Speedtest results are the same 24 hours per day, download speed as reported by BBC iPlayer shoots up at midnight, throttled by PN, 6pm to midnight, on my package)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its best to wait five minutes as the costing system can get its nickers in a twist either side of midnight
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Despite what was said above - overnight usage is nothing to do with the speed throttling.
How it should work is that Plusnet get usage reports at intervals (I think every 30 minutes) and any usage where there is doubt as to whether it is paid or free is discarded (or perhaps reported as free). The idea being that the customer isn't incorrectly charged for usage just inside the free period
Bradley
Grafter

Oh, that's good, thanks guys  Cool Should really take advantage of this more  Crazy
JEB
Grafter

On the subject of overnight usage there has been a issue for a while that if you download a decent amount overnight this isn't recorded.  Almost as if the usage rolls back to zero after a certain amount.

James
Bradley
Grafter

Does that affect your billing in anyway?
dick:quote
JEB
Grafter

No it doesn't affecting my billing as overnight is free.  I have pondered at times if the issue issue exists during on peak times but have never fancied risking a decent amount of my usage allowance testing!
I'm sure I have see the same issue mentioned by other people on this forum in the past.  I just mentioned it as does mean the recorded usage is incorrect, albeit from a practical point of view it doesn't matter.

James
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK
Midnight exactly, as just demonstrated by my downloading BBC iPlayer at low speed, 11:45pm, which shot up to 17mb/s at midnight, as it does every night.
Which is when the unlimited overnight starts, unthrottled. The same clock.

My little download speed graph on my menu bar went from a line to a block at midnight.

Quote from: Oldjim
Despite what was said above - overnight usage is nothing to do with the speed throttling.

Please note what I said about the clock Jim.
The BBC iPlayer speed is an indication of the PN clock, and it shifted up 5 gears dead on midnight.

Quote from: JEB

On the subject of overnight usage there has been a issue for a while that if you download a decent amount overnight this isn't recorded.  Almost as if the usage rolls back to zero after a certain amount.
James

I downloaded 14GB this morning between midnight last night and 8am this morning, and it was recorded !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The point is that the free usage measurement doesn't click in exactly at midnight as you stated in your post
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.
Bradley
Grafter

Thanks guys! Great help Smiley
JEB
Grafter

I downloaded 14GB this morning between midnight last night and 8am this morning, and it was recorded !

I have never quite worked out exactly much you need to download before the usage goes wrong but it is a decent amount, say over 20GB but I'm not sure how much over.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
GJenkins
Grafter

Lately, I have noticed the speed drops dramatically at exactly 1am, to the second! It picks back up to full speed at bang on 2:00am - anyone else noticed this? I am trying to figure out if theres something up with my setup or if theres something more sinister going on Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Is that from just one speedtester or several?