cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just what sort of Tbb Graph is acceptable?

Phileasfrog
Grafter

Just what sort of Tbb Graph is acceptable?

With all the ongoing issues relating to latency & gateway problems, particularly during peak hours, I for one has rather lost the plot as to what should be expected from PN, and when one should, or should not, complain!
My Tbb graph from last night (on ptn-ag01 gateway) is below.  There was no local internet use during the peak hours latency shown.

Is this now the new norm for the future - or is the increased latency something that PN is striving to resolve as part of their ongoing efforts.  Some sort of steer from PN would be helpful to guide expectations.
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) fixed image and URL.
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Just what sort of Tbb Graph is acceptable?

that looks ok to me, during peak times of usage you expect a bit of an increase in latency and your average is still under 20ms.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Yes - agreed, my problem is that I have recently migrated from Idnet (solely on cost grounds), and there was absolutely no difference shown during peak time for latency - flat as a pancake!  I suppose my expectations from PN are too high!
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

So you are saying that from 8pm too 11pm, no one was online?  As it looks like what I would expect if I was listening to a online radio stream.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
AndyH
Grafter

My graphs looks like this even if no one uses the net at 20:00-22:30.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

That's how my graphs usually look during peak time, and doesn't really affect my usage.
Last night was bad for me though, latency went through the roof and speeds dropped to 6/0.9 Mbps from the usual 60/15+
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Gus
If you mean was anyone using the internet or streaming on the fibre connection during last night's peak time, - absolutely none what so ever!  I agree that it looks as if I was streaming HD iPlayer, or Youtube - but no.  That is why I asked the question - but the response from Dvorak seems to indicate that my expectations are far too high.  All I can say is that with a similar fibre connection from my previous ISP the Tbb graph was completely flat during peak times - unless of course I was streaming etc etc.
DaveyH
Your Tbb just looks ill!  Is that a gateway problem?
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Phileasfrog

DaveyH
Your Tbb just looks ill!  Is that a gateway problem?

I assumed it was.
Usually my graphs look like yours during peak time whether i'm using my connection or not and doesn't usually effect  my usage.
But last night when  I was streaming it started to buffer a lot when I usually get none, so thats when i checked my latency and speeds.
Bright
Grafter

I get the same rise in latency during peak hours even when I'm not online (on FTTC here). It will be interesting to see if this goes away when Plusnet finally fixes the current fault that's causing peak time slow downs.
@DaveyH
That rather pretty green spike between 7pm to 8.30 looks very much like this fault. I understand Plusnet are working on a permanent fix.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do a test tonight, disable the wifi and see if you get the same results.  Could be a device is updating during those times.  Or someone is using a device wirelessly or wired they aren't telling you about, so who went to bed at 11pm last night and what was turned off at that time?  Or at worst you have a leech neighbour that has caught your wifi password.
Less likely its a trojan as it would be bad all the time, as it stopped at 11pm.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
drw
Grafter

This is what I saw up to 10am today
Bright
Grafter

It looks like you were on the same gateway as DaveyH. Hopefully the glitch from 7-8.30pm won't be repeated too often!
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Gus
No, I can vouch for there being no activity - other than, perhaps, minimal.  I use an Untangle UTM as a PPPOE router and can and do easily monitor all traffic from individual sources.  
In any case, my logic tells me that the background activities would not, per chance, only happen during peak hours.  All children have fled (or should that be flown!) the nest, so quite easy to account for internet usage.  There is little to no chance of trojan activity as I am well covered at the Untangle gateway, and have full end-point protection on all PCs.  The wifi AP is fully monitored with no neighbour use!
Basically, as confirmed by others in this thread, this peak time latency seems common and my initial question was whether it is to be expected or accepted from PN, or should it improve once the current issues are resolved?
Finguz
Grafter

Just after 5 a.m is a modem re-sync in the wee hours, which I assume was to reduce interleaving depth, as my latency has lowered around 2 or 3ms  Cool
No complaints otherwise though.
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: Phileasfrog
my initial question was whether it is to be expected or accepted from PN, or should it improve once the current issues are resolved?

I'm hoping it's going to reduce when the current issues are resolved. PN claim to have plenty of spare capacity in their network. The network would need to be significantly over-dimensioned to eliminate it altogether during the evening peak - clearly the majority of PN customers are residential so weekday evenings are when the network gets hammered. Other than when I experience the "evening slow-down" fault (which has been rarely), I'm not seeing any discernible impact on my internet usage from the latency hump.
I only joined in mid-Jan and don't remember noticing it for the first week or so. Maybe some other members could dig out some historical TBB graphs from late last year to see how they compare?